Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Today, of course, is Remembrance Day, or as it used to be called, Armistice Day.

It celebrates the signing of the Armistice between Germany and the Allies that signalled the end of the First World War, the war to end all wars, as it was optimistically called.

Today we remember the fallen, millions of them in that bloody war, many of them Australians. But of course we also remember the fallen of the nations who have come here and made this free country their home.
    There are no winners in war, only those who can sustain their losses for longer than the enemy.

Just 21 years later, the world was plunged into yet another great conflict; man learns nothing from instruction, and precious little from his mistakes.

If you can, Pause at 11 o'clock and remember, and pledge that you will do whatever you can to to make this a peaceful world.....

2. Good post Paul.

3. Well said Paul. I do find some hope in the defeat of the 'Hawks' in the US at the recent elections... that has the potential to lead to a reduction in conflict.

4. Lest we forget.

:|

5. We would like to observe Rememberence Day, So I'm going to turn the forums off for 1 minute at 11:11

Sorry, Paul, will you cope?

:LOL:

6. I was out riding, Vic, and I didn't notice :LOL:. But I did pause to reflect sometime round 11. I was just clicking up to third coming out of a tight, climbing right-hander, as I remember....

{not to demean the day in any way, of course}

7. The sun's still up, the skies are blue, why aren't you still out there! I'm stuck at work & think you should be making the most of the day on behalf of poor idiot's just like me :grin:

Lest we forget

8. Tomorrow, my dear, one must balance one's passions with the passions of one's mate, and they are running towards dinner with her mother and family.... Tomorrow, Macquarie Pass beckons from just 9 kms away, I hear its corners calling :)

9. I was out at my dads place, picking up my new motorbike he has sold to me. My mate and I were driving along and kept silent for a minute in the 4b to remember.

Lest we forget...

Righteo back to fixin the bike up now :p

10. I meant to post this link yesterday.

It a photo site created by a friend of mine in Belgium, and there's a small gallery of his photos of WW1 sites. They're taken at the Tyne Cot cemetery at Passchandaele, and the Menin Gate in Ypres.

Worth a look. :)

11. Just a bit of a bump. :)

My friend David says he'd be interested in hearing people's comments on his photos (see link in my previous post).

So if you're interested check them out, and I'll pass on any feedback you care to offer.

12. I'm sure that my grandpas and great grandpa would want us all to enjoy
    the pleasures and freedoms they worked so hard for, risked all for,
    and suffered the pain and loss for. Especially when we remember
    what those pleasures and freedoms cost.

<insert here my rant>
    The Right to Freedom and Free Speech is not free.
    It cost the lives of servicemen and servicewomen, the efforts and pain
    of many more, during war and during peace.
    A protester who has the freedom to defame and spit on a soldier lives
    in a land where they've done their job the best, to earn him that
    privilege. That protester is like the dog who bites the hand that feeds him.
    Remember some countries shoot and eat dogs.
    </end rant>

13. Lovely photos but an irritating site. Can't go back and takes time to draw the site.

I used to visit Normandy for day and weekend breaks in the early 90's. I spent some time checking out the war cemeteries and Normandy landing sights from WWII. To see 10,000+ headstones, all beautifully laid out, gives you some idea of the actual cost of war. Each cross signifies a life, a real person, someone about the same age as me (at the time), fighting for a cause and maybe even something they didn't believe or understand. Truly sad. It was one of those moments that changes your perspective on life and how cheaply our leaders regard it.

14. And sadly our and other government, like that of other countries, have progresivly erroded that right. Some wars were worth fighting for. I'd like to see governments that believe in and protect those ideals.

15. Please, Seany, not here, OK?

Cejay, very eloquently, put...... perhaps we all need to visit such a place and see and feel for ourselves?

16. I never pass a war memorial without seing someone with the same last name there. Which, coming from an army family really makes you think

Dave