Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Remember your near misses these days?

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by bdzy88, Mar 31, 2014.

1. So it has occurred to me looking through this sub-section of the forum, that comparatively the amount of netrider users vs the amount of threads in this section is very low.

I know personally, when I started riding every near miss would have me shaking and raging, yet it just seems like an every day occurrence that gets taken with a grain of salt as part and parcel of riding a bike.

Yet, we always seem to discuss the fact that 'they are always trying to get you'
    Seems to me that the general public are becoming more and more accepting of motorcyclists and cyclists, but i'm not sure whether it's to the credit of cycling bodies or our own motorcycling voice..

Would like to hear from new riders vs the 'forever' riders..

Anyway, it's been burning a hole in my brain..
  2. Near misses as a learner/noob happen more often because your roadcraft skills are lacking. You spend a good portion of your time trying to keep the bike from falling over and trying to remember to breath.

As your experience and hopefully skill increases so your near misses reduce.
    Basically, because you are now more skilled and experienced what was once a 'near miss' is now nothing more than "I knew he was going to do that".
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  3. I think that, far from becoming more 'accepting' of two wheelers, drivers are becoming less skilled and less attentive. But therefore also slightly less inclined to try and 'teach you a lesson' or assert their dominance.
    It's probably true that media attention has convinced some of them to avoid playing chicken with cyclists.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Just CBF.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I watched a truck behind me today- he was creeping right up on the bike behind me. I could see no reason he was getting agitated but he just kept sitting right on his tail. I was in the 4 wd and tried to move over so the bike could overtake and get him off his tail. I could see the bike constantly looking and , as I would have been with a truck up my a%# at 70 Kms an hour, getting nervous.
    Eventually I could give the rider enough gap to get in front of me and I sat in front of the truck. He didn't come anywhere near me!! He seemed to be totally just trying to scare the rider.
    What a stupid and potentially deadly game to play!!!! Some people are just pricks and always will be.
  6. It's interesting that you say this, @Kellieeclipse@Kellieeclipse. The other day I saw a van tailgating a car at nearly 100km/h, about 3m between the two bumpers. As I went past (at 100km/h - I would NEVER speed... Cough... Splutter...) I gave the van driver a dirty look, looked back and forth between the back of the car and front of the van, then gave him another dirty look, and shook my head disapprovingly when I looked forward again. The van driver then backed off, and when he pulled into my lane, he gave me HEAPS of room!

Mind you, I've had plenty of cars tailgating me before too... I nearly had a guy run up the back end of my cage today. He swerved to miss me, and fortunately I swerved in the opposite direction with the little room I had, otherwise it would've been a nasty smack in the left rear corner, and probably a trip to the nearest casualty hospital for the dickhead driver, my passenger and me because he was going WAY too fast to be able to stop!
  7. I was hospitalised and wrote off a Pajero last year from a driver hitting me from behind and spinning me in to a concrete wall - so what did I do when I got out and recovered.......
    Bought a bike! :ROFLMAO:
    I do believe my sanity was questioned... Again
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ive told this story before but it sums up what your noticing well.

I was riding with a mate behind me. He is a lot less experienced. It all seemed like a fairly unmemorable ride. I got off and he comes up to me and goes "How was that fcuking biatch nearly cleaning us up! "

I got taken back completely. I thought my road craft was pretty good. I thought I'd at least notice a near miss. I thought I'd just not noticed someone taking me out.

I asked about it and he explained where it happened.

I remembered it. Basically I was going straight through a round about. On my left there was 2 cars entering. The car in the left Lane had its view completely obscured. I saw it, expected not to be seen, slowed down and when she inevitably pulled out I could slow down with engine braking. I'd forgotten about it before she was out of my view.

I don't consider this a near miss. There was no chance of me getting hurt. I was under control at all times. It was a near miss for my friend as he wasn't prepared. He was caught out unaware.

Near misses only really occur when you don't expect them coming. When you predict an event it rarely rates a memory. As you get more experienced you get better at predicting.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. #9 bdzy88, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    This is true, I mean, i remember people doing stupid things, but wouldn't classify them as a major event..

Just quite a few friends are learning at the moment and have been talking to me after our rides, and similar situation as above smilee, not entirely sure what they are talking about half the time.

But I even think comparatively, to 6 years ago when i started riding, I think cagers were a heap more aggressive as a whole
    - I'm pretty sure as titus said, as a generalization we have vehicles which park
    themselves, stop themselves and the emphasis is taken away from the driver and their skill and just do not notice, do not care or both.

Hell, all you have to do is drive/ride/walk/scooter/breathe anywhere near the vicinity of a ford territory to prove that (Yes, I hate territory's.. No, I don't care if you have one)
  10. Its hard to say. We both have massive observer bias and have been riding similar times. I see what you see but write it down to me not them. The people to ask if there's been any change in attitude over the last 5 years or so are the ones who have been riding a lot longer than that and their attitude about riding has been stable for a long time.

I'm thinking though not much has changed. Attitude and riding style changea make for very different experiances of other road users. I ride more aggressive now than when I started and I find this affects others behavior a lot.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. This is exactly what goes through my mind when thinking about these things. People get a shock when this happens and react with anger, come on here and vent. If you feel the need to complain on here, there is a good chance you didn't see it coming

Just remember you are not important when you're on a bike, you will get run over and the driver wont notice until its too late, no matter how angry you get. Our only defense is to not be where the car is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. #12 Al_Cam, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    With the lofty perspective of just under 12 months under my tyres when I started commuting I was terrified /angry of anyone that came near me. "get away from me you murderous..." Started to realise that I was judging some not ideal driving as dangerous when it wasn't. Still get dangerous events of course but am learning to disengage from negative reactions & emotions. I have noticed that I don't have that much concentration to spare as when say driving the car - situations can develop quicker than I would expect in the car and it's not always speed related. I suspect background fear or caution that is using up some of my limited thinking capacity.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. very good points, i'm not bashing anyone for venting, in fact, the venting system works well and even allows other netriders to learn from unfortunate incidents (I know it was very educational to me)

Just wanted to see the opinions of everyone
  14. I think for the most part it's your own tolerance. What you consider a Near Hit early in your motorcycle life, is yawnworthy later.

Your own ability is the secondary reason.

I do not, however, believe car drivers are becoming more accepting of two-wheeled vehicles. Quite the opposite actually. I use the lane change onto a bike, despite the horn, as an example of this.
  15. but they lane change onto a car with the horn blaring just as easily. It's a self righteous, arrogance thing not a car/bike thing
  16. That's not self righteous or arrogant. It's incompetence, pure and simple.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. No, I agree with Simon, in that people deliberately ignore the horn when changing lanes because they see it as a protest against pushing in, rather than a danger warning. They continue because they see it as road position.

My point is that the fact they do they same for cars and bikes demonstrates that car drivers are not any more considerate of motorcycles than they were and are in fact less considerate. If they were more considerate of bikes they would recognise that this maneuver is a serious danger for motorcycles and stop merging when they hear and see a motorcycle.
  18. Decided to go for a ride and was on the FWY headed to Box Hill and had someone cut across 4 lanes of traffic, under brakes, to make a turn narrowly missing the front of my motorcycle. I was basicly on my front wheel trying to avoid the collision, the guy waved as if to say sorry about that my turning off the FWY was so much more important than your life. Thanks duchebag!
  19. Gotta keep a wide perspective, Shane. The incompetent fcukers can (and do) come from the most ridiculous places! Glad you kept it shiny side up.
  20. Deliberate act or not, it is incompetence.