Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Remember Pearl Harbour.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rc36, Dec 6, 2009.

1. For the history/WWII phobes amongst us, just a reminder that tomorrow, the 7th December, marks the 68th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour, the end result of which was America's belated entry into WWII as a combatant nation.

Perhaps a lesser-known fact of this famous event was the salvage operation that took place in the wake of the attack. Despite the horrific conditions and the rudimentary gear in use, US Navy salvage teams worked for 22000 hours in over 5000 separate, hard-hat dives to patch sunken ships and refloat them, remove armament and ordnance from sunken ships and repatriate human remains and other important items from the hulls of sunken ships.

The success of this operation, which took over a year to complete was that, despite the huge losses that the Navy had suffered in the attack, all but a handful of sunken ships were raised, refloated, repaired and returned for duty in the war against Japan, most within a calendar year of the day of the attack.

You can read more about this fascinating story here and in many other web sites that can be found with a quick "google".

Thanks for reading, I hope you find this little-known historical gem as interesting as I did when I first discovered it.

2. Interesting stuff. I've been lucky enough to visit Pearl Harbour too.

In a bizarre way, I guess we're kinda lucky the Japanese bombed in 1941. Without them, there wasn't much to stop the Japanese.
  3. Did not know that, pretty impressive stuff.

Well may all the lost ones RIP.
  4. Yep we also visited Pearl Harbour in 94, even then there was still some oil seepage coming up out of the Arizona, haunting stuff.
  5. It's still leaking...
  6. Thanks for the link. Fascinating reading.

Been there in 1995. What a special place to visit.
  7. Went there as a kid in 86 would love to go back with my family now.
    I remember hearing a while ago estimates that there is still so much oil possibly in the arizona they worry about a rupture and a large oil spill
    Great site too thanks for sharing it, i'm gonna be up late looking it over tonight