Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Religeous Funerals

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by grange, Aug 23, 2010.

1. My question is, why do people that have no religeous background, have a religeous funeral.
    The reason I'm asking, is that it is something I have thought about and talked to some people about, for awhile now.
    When two of my grandparents passed away a few years ago, both of them were given , what I would call, a semi-religeous funeral, i.e. not in a church, but still a religeous ceremony at the cemetary.
    Now, I had known my grandparents all my life, and have never known, or seen them go to a church service, other than christenings, weddings, and funerals. They had never shown, at there home, any religeous items, nor talked about religeon, as far as I know.
    Is it something that the family thinks is better for them, or what is the go.
    Is it spread across the different religeons ( they were catholic) , or is it more isolated to say one or two religeons.

Would be interesting to see some serious responses as to what others think as to the reasons behind this....
  2. Its always family. My business partners dad dies a few months back. His mother organised a full blown church funeral. Business partner reckons its the last thing his father would have ever wanted, as he was an athiest.
  3. when i go, it's going to be a cremation, and shove some of my ashes in a box, and throw me out to sea.

no funeral. just hope my mates go do something fun, like bowling or skydiving for moi :D
  4. Perhaps they do it just in case there is a God up there (or the alternative in the other direction).

In my case I don't think I'd notice the difference but if it give comfort to those I leave behind (& are the one's paying for it) then I'm all for it.
  5. Well I come from a Catholic family...and I have only been to Religious funerals. To be honest I can't see a funeral in any other way since I have never been exposed to a non-Religious funeral. In saying that I don't see anything wrong with doing a goodbye ceremony/party (no church, no cemetary prayers etc)...so just a get together with family and friends, eating, thinking about the good times after the person is buried/cremated.

lowercase, I believe being cremated is still part of a funeral...religious or not...so either way you'll have a funeral :p. The only time you don't have a funeral is when you are thrown over a cliff and your body was never found...I do not wish that upon anyone by the way.
  6. The power behind a ceremony shouldn't be underestimated. It's sometimes more for the mourners than the mournee.

7. had a mate go this way, he went fishing and a wave swept him in from the rocks, never to be found, leaves an empty feeling in your gut, but the ceremony was at the location he got swept away where the priests did their thing
  8. Sorry to hear. :(

I agree with robslavv.

Also to the OP...I kind of didn't answer your question with my first post. I believe it's because death brings people together (as sad as it may be) and allowing people to reflect on the good times. Which in turns gives HOPE that there may be a God who will look after them in the after life. This is can be a really great relief for the mourners.

I may be born Catholic (didn't have much of a choice), however I don't believe in God...I just hope there is. That also doesn't mean I do everything against the bible just to prove a point.
  9. It depends on whether the person has asked for a religious funeral, or the relatives decide what to do in the absence of (or in spite of, in some cases) the person's wishes. Then, of course, there are some people who forsake their religious up-bringing and live as if it didn't exist all their lives, but call for the priest when they think they are going to die, and want a religious funeral.

Most Australians observe the 'Hatch, Match and Dispatch' doctrine, so your observation is not that surprising.

From my point of view, having attended many Christian funerals, full of hope and a genuine belief in the resurrection, there is no more wonderful experience for those of us who gather. The singing at my father's funeral was such that a passer-by asked us what sort of celebration it was; he was mildly embarrassed when I told him it was my father's funeral.
  10. My mum was a capital A Atheist (as is the whole family apart from one of my brothers - a 'born again' with a capital B.) When she died, none of us knew anyone available who would make a good 'MC' for the cremation service, so we reluctantly agreed to use my brother's preacher - on the condition that there be no bible readings or mention of anything to do with God/Jesus/Holy Ghost/afterlife, whatever.

So what does he do? - Just couldn't help himself I 'spose... I was livid - it most certainly was not what she would have wanted.

(BTW thanks Jesus for giving my mum lung cancer at 66 - even though she never smoked)
  11. My father spent the last few years of his life knowing he was on borrowed time. He wrote specific instructions on what was to occur when he passed over. His farewell was a day when we remembered all those joyous moment we had growing up, there were tears, but there was also lots of laughter.
    .. I reckon the old man was hanging around that day laughing with us, ... and not a religous collar or frock coat in sight
  12. Sometimes? :cheeky:

The dead person doesn't give a rat's arse. Funerals are entirely about the family and friends - so people choose things for others that they might never have chosen themselves, because that's what would make THEM feel at peace.

Problems only arise when one faction (eg the deceased's mum) and another faction (eg the deceased's friends) disagree on how it should be done. An atheist friend of an atheist deceased who turns up and finds that a religious mother has put on a religious funeral might well feel offended on behalf of his mate.

But honestly, cracking the shits about it isn't going to help anyone do what they came for - which is to grieve and remember their loved one. So if you find yourself getting annoyed about this sort of thing, for chrissakes keep a lid on it for EVERYONE's sake. If you're not the one planning the funeral then chances are whoever is was significantly closer to them than you are.
  13. Births - Deaths and marriages, biggest business in the world
  14. Ill go with a funeral service, but non religious.
    Ill turn over in my grave if "god" or "jesus" are mentioned.
  15. How will you know?
  16. Fifty bucks says you'll just lie there and decompose in silence.
  17. Guess it's a bit like insuring your bike when you have a religous funeral, You may never think you are going to need to cash in on it, but it may just come in handy :LOL:
  18. I would be pissed if I was given a religious funeral. I was a viking / motorcyclist funeral.
    Make a pyre that resembles my bike at the time and cremate me on it.
    Then everyone one can go get pissed.
  19. ...it'd take a week for the fire to go out with that hair do mate. lol
  20. Well I've let all my nearest and dearest know that all I want is a gathering where anyone who wants to say something can, then they can cremate me and chuck my ashes somewhere. Out at sea would be nice or otherwise, over a rose garden.

Both my parents, on the other hand, had a full Serbian Orthodox funeral mass and are buried in a double grave at the monastery in Elaine. Despite the fact that I am atheist, it would never have occurred to me to do otherwise for them and for the other members of my family.