Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reliable Ducati

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Iondah, May 16, 2007.

1. I know it's rediculous thinking about my next bike since I'm still 246 days away from getting off restrictions, that's about 8 months for those who aren't counting. :grin:

Still, I AM thinking about it and the current top of my list is a smaller Ducati Monster (600 or 900). I like the look, the sound and the fact they're RED.

BUT my new bike also has to be practical because I ride every day to work and can't afford down time leaving the bike in the shop every week.

I've always been told that Ducatis are seriously unreliable because they are so highly tuned and do stuff like drop oil everywhere. So, are the newer ones (say >2000) still like this or would I get away with regular servicing and not much else?

I'm also considering Buell XB9R, Triumph Speed Triple, Speed 4 and more modest alternatiives like Hornet 600 or 900 or a Yamaha FZ6s.

P.S. Yes, I have searched. I'm after some fresh opinions. :)
  2. Are you planning on buying new, or used (and if so, what kind of money - it makes a difference to how much relaibility you can expect from certain models).
  3. If you're buying new then a bike is a bike when it comes to reliability these days (unless I think if you're looking at a Royal Enfield???). In regards to the Ducati, as long as you have someone service it that knows Ducati inside out then you shouldn't really have a problem. I think reliability issues with Ducati before was with shim servicing and mechanics lack of knowledge about doing it properly.

Ducati's are nice.....sound great.

4. Looking at second hand for the exotics, new for the basics.

Budget will depend on how much I can save in the next 8 months and whether or not I sell my car. I'm aiming for $10-13k.

I realise this doesn't get me a lot of Monster but thought it was still worth asking the question. :)
  5. Drop a PM on "Scumbag". He rides, lives, breathes and plays with them.
  6. A second hand Ducati for $13K will not only be as reliable as a new Jap bike, it will also always be worth more. Good comparison, you'll enjoy riding something a bit different but still have no issues riding every day.
  7. You would be suprised how much monster 13000 will get you.
    As to mainteance and durability I have a 600m with over 100 000 on it and my St2 has just ticked over 100 000.
    No major problems (touch wood) just consumables.
    This does include clutch plates on the dry clutch ST.
    Keep them serviced and regularly, replace what needs replacing and they tend to keep going.
    Any questions do not hesitate to contact me.
  8. I take the piss out of the ducks a bit, but so long as you are not buying a 70 or 80s model, then reliability isn't a major concern.
  9. Bla bla bla

By the time you're ready to upgrade you'll be asking "R1200GS or 675?"

10. I own a totally reliable older Ducati that is in a higher state of tune than Ducati ever intended. A properly serviced Ducati is every bit as reliable as a Jap bike, in fact at higher mileages probably more so if you are talking about any of the 2 valve engines. The 'urban legend' of unreliability, oil leaks etc, is just not true of any post-bevel Ducati with the notable exception of the 906 Paso (with it's horrible Webber twin-choke carby). The old Bevel bikes are a whole different ballgame though, and unless you are a dedicated Ducatista with good mechanical skills I'd stay away from them altogether.
  11. +1

A modern ducati is as reliable as any other bike. The main difference is it looks better, handles better and will keep its value better. Slightly bias opinion, but in general true.
  12. HAHA +1

If you're anything like me, your preferred bike is going to change on a weekly (er...daily, even) basis. Also: 8 months is a long time, and will open up a few more options in your price range over that period.

In the interim, I just keep reading, and wandering through the bike shops now and then. In my view, you shouldn't make up your mind until you've at least had the chance to test them all!
  13. Regular use and servicing are the way to go. :grin:
  14. Gee Loz, I thought you'd be chomping on the bit to recommend me a Hornet. :wink:

Still, I know what you mean... I just like to dream. And a 675 is already on the list. :) I will however be steering clear of BMWs until I'm old and grey.

Ducatis are looking sweet though... good news about the reliability though.
  15. Patience my pretty, the campaign will start in good time.
  16. Get an aprilia. :cool:
  17. The consensus is that newer Ducatis are a vast improvement over those from the last millenium, and getting better all the time.
    Having said that, the company has just recently fallen back into Italian ownership, so who knows what will happen next :wink:
    BTW, reports from Europe are suggesting there is a major design flaw in the new 1098 motor: apparently cam belt pulleys are now made out of plastic instead of steel, and in some cases have worn oval and stopped turning after very few kilometres, wrecking a few motors already :shock:
    No such problem with a Monster, of course.

By the time you're ready to buy, the new Aprilia 750s and Triumph Street Triple 675 will be on the market, too. Tasty.
  18. Stop drinking the coolant will ya.. :) There is no such problem as far as I know, and the cam belt pulleys are NOT plastic! I think you may be referring to the cam belt tensioner issue that affected a very small number of (now recalled and rectified) bikes. For a list of potential Ducati problems by model, this is a good resource.

19. Yep the cam pulleys are metal, I see them every day. Inci is correct there was a problem with a small number of bikes with mobile tensioner problems but most have been rectified.
  20. Inci and Scumbag - you're right of course. T'was the tensioners.
    DID do some damage, tho'. Glad to here it's rectified.