Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

reliability of the Yamaha 1985 xt 600

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by timbo79, May 19, 2009.

1. hello again,

Just wondering how reilable the Yamaha xt 600 is and if it would be good for commuting??

thanx guys and girls

2. I've only ridden the XT600, never owned one long term but it should be fine. I've owned a '83 XL600 (similar bike) and never had a problem. Oil changes should be done reasonably regularly (as per the manual) but they're easy.

Double check with a Yamaha dealer about parts availability just in case. Typically they share parts with later models so it shouldn't be a problem but it's best to check there's at least some stuff around.

As for commuting, they're perfect. Slim, high enough to miss car mirrors, easy to ride, and produce decent power at around town speeds. Cheap to run too.

3. yes i have also heard that XT660X is a great bike to go for and i am looking forward to buy 2010 XT660X. i am posting info of 2010 XT660X; Yamaha XT660X is a Super motard bike from the house of Yamaha. It is a powerful member of XT series. It is titled as “King of the urban jungle” by Yamaha. It delivers dazzling street performance with helmets. It has got dynamic and bold looks. Its performance is a result of its fine engineering. It is bundled with modern super-motard technology.

Its single cylinder, four-stroke, fuel-injected, liquid-cooled 660 cc engine generates the power of 35.3 kW@ 6,000 RPM and the torque of 60 nm @ 5250 RPM. The compression ratio is 10.0:1. The engine is aggressive and ultra responsive at throttle.

It has advanced diamond shaped steel frame. XT660X is equipped with full-floating 320 mm front disc that delivers incredible stopping power. It ensures the rider’s comfort by its front 43 mm Telescopic forks and swingarm Mono-cross rear suspension and adjusts saddlebags well. The bike is capable of taking you to new extremes.
    Facts:

Engine and transmission:
    Displacement: 660 cc
    Engine type: Single cylinder, four-stroke, liquid-cooled,
    Power: 35.3 kW@ 6,000 RPM
    Torque: 60 nm @ 5250 RPM
    Compression ratio: 10.0:1
    Bore x stroke: 100.0 x 84.0 mm
    Fuel system: Injection
    Fuel control: SOHC
    Ignition: TCI
    Lubrication system: Dry sump
    Gearbox: 5-speed
    Final drive: Chain
    Clutch: Wet, multiple-disc coil spring

Dimensions:
    Height: 1,170 mm
    Length: 2,175 mm
    Width: 860 mm
    Seat height: 865 mm
    Ground clearance: 205 mm
    Wheelbase: 1,490 mm

Brakes and wheels:
    Frame type: Steel tube, diamond shaped
    Front suspension: Telescopic forks 43mm
    Rear suspension: Mono-cross
    Tires:
    Front: 120/70-R17
    Rear: 160/60-R17
    Brakes:
    Front: Single disc
    Rear: Single disc

Physical capacities:
    Gross weight: 189 kg
    Fuel capacity: 15 L
    Color: Red, white, blue

4. :spam:

If I'm not very much mistaken.

5. I'll give you $100 for it.

6. F*cking spam. I nearly read that.

7. Seems a bit heavy.

8. I had a 1999 ttr600, which shares the same engine. It was not very reliable and poor at commuting.

9. xt 600's were army issue, so yes if you found one that had been well maintained, should last forever... but i doubt you'd find one that had'nt had a hard life.. and a 1985 model, i'd expect you'd be constantly spending money on it over the course of owwnership, repairing or replacing a bit here a bit there... it is 25 years old.

10. If you really must have a 25 year old bike its probably better than most.
    Its only got one or two of most bits, is air cooled and service it yourself potential is high.
    Whatever the price tag, you could most likely buy something newer - unless its free.

11. Have any of the last few posters noticed how old this thread is?

12. Now the god damn spammers are doing thread revivals! :rofl:

13. You restarted it.:LOL:

14. I bid $150

15. This isn't an argument :wink:.