Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

reliability of 2 strokes

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by n1ck, Jul 22, 2005.

1. are 2 strokes really that unreliable. i'm really interested buying the Honda NSR150sp for my first bike in a couple of months. but so far i have had people scaring me saying that 2 strokes bike are really unreliable. well, juts want to see what you experienced people think, is it really that unreliable or has it been under-rated? pleease help!! :(

2. No they're not. Modern ring-dingers are very reliable, just make sure you keep the plugs up to it and it should be fine!
  3. I dont have a whole lot of experience with two stroke bikes but I use a fair amount of two stroke equipment (chainsaw, disk cutter, etc). Reliability just comes down to how much you are going to put into maintaining it. Generally a two stroke engine isnt as forgiving as a four stroke engine but if you stay on top of maintenance then there is no reason why a two stroke shouldnt be completely reliable (they are definitely easier to work on)
  4. As above, 2-strokes just require more servicing to keep them going - or perhaps servicing more often, not necessarily more. That said, they typically won't last as long as a 4-stroke, so if you're planning on putting on 50,000km on your learners, I'd be looking elsewhere. :)
  5. thanx for the replies guys.. hey templemonkey if you don't mind me asking, how's the honda spada? is it reliable (in terms of hassle/ problem with the bike)? how is it all around? any good points bad points? i saw the spadas yesterday and i love the way they look. However knowing that they were only produced in the late 1980s and early 1990s, i'm affraid that because of their age and all it might have some problems, is this true?
  6. Spada question

Hey Nick, there's a SLEW of Spadas in Sydney, and quite a few of their riders are on this forum. They, along with templemonkey, no doubt, will be able to tell you EVERYTHING about Spadas!!! :)
  7. Hey N1ck,

The Spada is a very reliable bike. The engine is the same one as used in the current VTR250 so spares are not a problem. They are better suited to the *ahem* shorter rider but I am 5'11 and dont have any real problems with comfort (have ridden 10 hours in a day several times without any problems)

Did I get to fuel economy! On average I get over 23km/L and riding conservatively I have gotten 28km/L. Not bad with the current fuel price concerns.

Handling is excellent. It doesnt lean down as far as a sports 250 but in the twisties I have never had a problem keeping up with the babyblades/ninjas (low end power is very good) Top speed is something a law abiding citizen wont get to outside a track day but I have had mine up to just over 150kph.

Only down side... practically no storage space

All in all, a great bike.

:D :D :D
  8. All true about the Spada - but it's not actually a 2-stroke. :LOL:

2-strokes are generally pretty reliable. I put lots and lots of miles on RD Yamahas, as well as Bultacos and a Montessa off road years ago and they tended to just run and run. An upside is that they are mechanically much much simpler - no cams, valves etc to worry about and tend to be a lot lighter than an equivalent 4 stroke. As long as you run the right plugs and oil mix they should have no problem. Downside is that they do have a higher fuel consumption.

Having said that the only time I've ever had anything to do with the Honda is when one seized on a ride I was on. That may hav ebeen caused by an oil pump problem. I haven't heard of any inherent faults with them.

9. Hmmmm, you must have missed the segue!

10. And you must have missed the smiley :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  11. Like I said, :wink:
  12. well i'm thinking of getting the spadas for my first bike. do you think thats a good idea?? and how much do they cost?
    for my first bike i've got a few bikes in my list;
    Honda spada, NSR150sp, Cagiva Mito, Hyosung comet GT250.. what da ya think?
  13. Most Spadas I have seen have been about the $3000 mark for good condition. As with anything, get an expert to check it over first.

In all honesty, I have never ridden any of the others on your list.

Can anyone else help here?

:D :D :D
  14. Welcome n1ck,

I went for the RGV 250R as my first mount. I wasn't specifically looking for a two stroke, it just turned out that way... I saw her in the shop and it was love at first sight/ride :D

A lot of 4 strokers tried to talk me out of it, saying "it's a 2 stroke, you'll need to rebuild it all the time" and "you have to mix the oil, they are unreliable" etc. I've now had the RGV for almost 12 months and have had no problems mechanically...I maintain her well, use only the best synth oils ( there is an oil reservoir you need to keep full...I fill it up around every 2-3 weeks and it self mixes with the fuel), I also ensure she has her regular checkups with the doc :wink:

A rebuild is usually only required every 15-30 thousand km...it totally depends on how you look after them and how you ride, The RGV has 20,000 on her and can probably go another 5-10 thou' before a top end rebuild. Even so, looked after properly, the rebuild is essentially only preventative maintainence and should only be a little more than a major service.

If you love the whip of powerband and your a stroker fan, I'd highly recommend an RGV. Picked mine up for around $6500, mint condition with only 12,000kms.

A word of warning though, a stroker probably isn't the most ideal learner bike...the power delivery can quite often catch you out at the most un-opportune times :shock: , trust me I know :wink:

Looked at the NSR but seriously, I don't know about a 150...the Cagiva mito has the looks but is only a 150 also and it is expensive. The only other bike I was seriously considering was the CBR RR...but everyone has one and consequently you end up paying more for an older bike, with quite often a 'shady' history due to the demand for them :cry:

For me though, I'm glad I went with the RGV...plenty of power, fantastic looks and a bike that you won't easily tire of...remember you have at least 12 months to get through! :D
  15. If you want to check out the RGV, I have mine listed in the photo gallery under 'cool bikes/Suzuki' Otherwise send me your email and I'll send you some pics :wink:
  16. Have a look at an nsr250.... Awesome bike aswell.
  17. Which entails...

...go on, tell the man about dismantling and cleaning out powervalves and checking ring gaps and the like on a regular basis. ;)

Unless something does go wrong and you end up with a scored barrel, or unless the stripdown reveals you need a crank rebuild, too.

His list of likely first bikes includes a 125 two-stroke race-replica and a 250 cruiser; I think it's pretty safe that the man himself doesn't know if he has an opinion about the whip of a powerband one way or the other

Sounds like an early R6 from that description.

They're fast enough for someone who's never ridden before. Build quality can be described as below-average, sloppy or piss-poor, depending on whether you're feeling generous, realistic or harsh, respectively. Their biggest problem is their toy-like proportions. They're ridiculously narrow and softly sprung. Stick more than about 70kg on them and they get out of their depth.

I'm 194cm and 100kg and the time I rode one, I bottomed out the forks on a speedbump.

Out of the bikes N1ck's listed, I'd reccommend a Spada ahead of all the others. They've depreciated nicely in the last couple of years, unkillable engines, small enough for short people yet roomy enough for big people, some nice technology sprinkled through them...

It's not; it's a 125.

How's that work? There's heaps of them around, and because of that, you have to pay more if you want one yourself.

Yeah... I mean, it's not like RGV's were ever popular with racers or anything. No chance of one of them having a dodgy history...

You got lucky. Lap it up. Of the dozens of people who've had RGV's, you're one of two or three who haven't had to either rebuild it themselves or who haven't sold it on to someone who did, soon after they bought it.

I wouldn't advise an RGV for anyone who doesn't specifically want one and who'd be easier to talk off the ledge of a highrise window than out of the RGV purchase idea. They're now all getting too long in the tooth to stand a good chance to be anything like the sort of trouble-free experience a new rider, especially one who might not have much exposure to the bat-to-the-goolies feeling which accompanies major mechanical failure in vehicles.

If someone's been around motors most of their life and both enjoys spannering and has solid expertise and facility backup to call on if required. then, yes, an RGV is an option. For someone who's still figuring out how this whole powered transport thing works, no way.

How many bikes have you bought in your life? Can you honestly say you've got enough knowledge on the subject to advise someone else on the subject?
  18. Everything you said up until that point was fair enough, IK. But just because the guy might not have been riding his whole life, buying dozens of bikes over the years, doesn't mean he can't offer his opinion. In this case, I'd probably agree and say he's a little off the mark - but doesn't mean he can't say anything!

That line can be used on pretty much anyone in these forums, with the exception of the OFARCs, if you like. But it wouldn't be much of a forum then, would it? And you wouldn't have any myths left to dispell. ;)
  19. Look out...Boo :LOL:
  20. Now allow me to retort... :p

I don't, as I said I have the wrench look over her...I have the RGV serviced every 5000kms-7500kms, cost on average...around $200.

Ever heard of the 'buyer beware' and 'due diligence' principles? As always do your homework, I'm sure we don't need to mother N1ck on the basics. :roll: That's why I got mine with full service history, one owner and less than 12,000kms. :D

I tend to agree however how can you be so sure? I had a similar line up of bikes in my sights when entering the market. By asking questions and testing each one I narrowed it down to the CBR 250RR and the RGV 250R. I soon had an opinion on 'powerband'... I loved it :LOL: , its up to him to find out for himself.

Actually, it's a RGV 250R (VJ 22 T) Landed and retailed in Australia until 1996, the VJ 23 SP was never brought down under. This one stayed on the showroom floor and was complianced late '98.

Tut tut :p , there you go making assumptions again! How do you know the intended riders weight and height?

Good for you...how's your love life while we are at it? :LOL:

It seems personal opinions aren't welcome here, so kindly keep them to yourself. :p

You got me there...totally messed that up, meant to say 125...my apologies to all. :oops:

Ever heard of the laws of supply and demand?
    Supply "The tendency for the quantity supplied of a good in the market to increase as it's price rises"

Demand "The tendency for the quantity demanded of a good in the market to decline as it's price rises"

Put simply, High demand = High Price, as the quantity of CBR's demanded increases so too will the price. CBR 250RR's are known to be highly sought after as a 'learner legal' first bike. Don't believe me? Take a walk down Elizabeth St, what do you see lined up out front of the used bike shops?

It's known widely that the CBR RR's are a 'grey import' often brought over from Asia after being laid over and abused, sandwhiched in shipping containers and the bare minimum done to compliance them. Often the odometers are 'wound back' and the bikes average age varies between 10-15 years. And for this you often see them selling between $6000 - $7000.

I'll take the RGV landed here brand new with full history, confirmed build date as '96, 12,000 original kms and a $6,500 price tag thanks... :D

I do, checkout my pic in the photo gallery...see the huge grin? :D

There you go with your personal opinions again :p ...I'm the exact mechanically inept rider you speak of and we're doing fine over here :D . As I said, do your homework and keep it well maintained whatever bike you choose...after all it's your life!

Just the one, but thats all I'll need...at least until my P's expire.

And no...I would never say I have the answer for anybody...we all have to find our own path, I found mine and thought others might like to share my experience, obviously I was wrong. Try to keep in mind my opinions are just that...opinions.

Mods...I seriously I think we may have to look at disclaimers on each post if we are going to be this pedantic though. Geez! :roll: