Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rejeting '' what is it and how ????

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mainstage, Aug 26, 2008.

1. hi Boys

OK Question ''What is involved in rejeting a bike and why is it done ??

I'am takeing my GS500f in for its 1000k service and I've been told by the delear that it needs rejeting ,

I;m not a mechanic ( obviously ) so simple would be good .

thanks up-front

2. They change the size of the jets so you either get more or less fuel into your carbies so you get the correct air/fuel mixtures.
  3. If it needs rejetting after 1000kms then you shouldn't pay a cent for the job, as there is a manufacturing issue there.
  4. yes thanks guys ,,So they have different size jets I will ask the Q about the manufacturing issue , :)
  5. Jetting is usually done when there has been a change to your bikes intake, fuel or exhaust system.

So have you put in a different air filter, or exhaust system (or bigger carbies!)?

I would also be asking them what makes them believe that you need your bike to be jetted.
  6. Standard jetting is usually a bit of a compromise to meet emission regulations. If you change the exhaust or the air filter then they can be even further away from ideal.

It may be the dealer is just saying the bike will be better off with different jets rather than it absolutely needs it.
  7. Hi mekros

NO mate no changes to the bike from new , done 1000ks on the bike from new no work at all .

I'am taking it in next week so I will ask and let you know the outcome

I'am thinking why do I need different size jets after only 1000ks what has changed .the bike is running fine now . So this must be standed practice .

8. Or maybe it's just BS.
    No way a standard brand new bike should need re-jetting. Maybe the jetting can be "optimised" but I believe we're talking about a GS500 here.....
  9. If it aint broke don't fix it. :wink: