Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reincarnating 89 fj1200

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rexk, Jul 11, 2015.

1. I am attempting to revive a bike not ridden for 6 years, it has been garaged and was fully serviced one ride before storage but I obviously have not stored it correctly. My first hurdle is opening the fuel tank, I have the correct key and can turn it in the lock but am unable to open the tank. I have soaked the lock in "Eds red" a lubricant used in guns and made up of an equal mixture of transmission oil, metho, acetone and kero. It has been soaking for 2 days. I have removed the tank and am thinking of pouring the lube into the tank to soak into the lock from inside. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

2. So your saying the key action is okay and moves as it should from open to closed, or locked to unlocked? In other words the locking mechanism is moving? Is that action smooth?
  3. If the tank's off now, it's easy to move and play with and it's been 6 years, go for your life with penetrating oil from inside - you'll have to clean it anyway. Or as corollas says does the whole assembly remove?
  4. Thanks for the responses, the key action was initially frozen but a bit of lube freed it up, however, when turning the key, there does not seem to be any pressure and the key turns very easily. I have put slight pressure on the cap when trying to lever it but there is only slight movement. I am concerned that the locking mechanism may be faulty.
  5. if you can turn the key easily, then the locking mech is probably stuck in the open position, otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn key.
    it is likely the rubber seal has stuck itself to the lip of the tank, so might take a bit of pressure to unstick it.
    not sure which solvents would be able to get in and soften it without destroying the rubber totally.. MEK might get in but kill rubber? (PVC pipe primer fluid). MEK may/will also kill any paint it comes into contact with
  6. MEK carcinogenic, please use it in a well ventilated area.
    Mr OHS (who used to spend 1/2 the day with his hands dripping with stuff).
  7. http://www.nordale.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Nordale-MEK-Solvent-MSDS.pdf

not carcinogenic as such (I thought that too), but can damage peripheral and central nervous system, lungs, kidneys, liver, as well as dermatitis, cracking and defatting of skin...
    can also cause reproductive problems (sterility/infertility)

if you can smell it, you are probably already over the exposure limits?
    plus it gets through nitrile gloves quickly. need proper barrier gloves.

but I bet plumbers don't take many precautions at all?
    and still better to treat like it is a carcinogen :)
  8. I was using it in an industrial process after they banned liquid FC solvents when they discovered the Ozone layer hole. Don't think you are going to have many issues working on one tank but... Lot's of exposure to these things - Cleaner & degreaser, aerosol chain degreaser, brake part cleaners, Acetone &c... it builds up. Problem is it takes times for some of these effects to turn up. I used to joke that he MEK was going to make the skin fall off my hands. Umm I have some of those things Oldcorollas listed above. Due to the MEK, Acetone, other solvents, breathing Lead fumes? Who can say. "I should put on gloves, but I'll be right mate". Too late 10, 20 years later.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. totally agree mate, and combinations of things can make effects worse, or bring in new serious problems.
    even using fuel and kero etc (welding zinc, soldering) it's worth chucking on respirator mask with organic solvent filters.. no headspins or headaches :) or do outside with a fan blowing away from you at minimum
  10. Have you tried a tap with a rubber mallet?