Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by bookofromans, May 28, 2006.

1. I have alot of noob questions haha I want to search the forum for answers first but this one i can't understand and that's the rego cost! I haven't got a bike yet (planning to). im looking as much as my time permits. I'm considering a zxr250 or a cbr250r(r). How much would it cost to rego those? I'm afraid of hidden costs, im trying to budget ahaha. I live in melbourne btw lol.

p.s i wanna become a biker freak hahah but the information available and all the forums are so0o overwhelming! so much information so0o many ways to go and on top of that little time! (im a student) =s anyone know a very structured resource center i could refer to?

thanks for your time guys/gals!

2. Nope, no idea.

But you've just given me an idea :idea:
  3. Oh FARK... not again.... last time this happened the forum crashed!!!!! :cry: :cry: :?

4. I know someone will chime in later with the exact dollar figure amounts but from what i can recall... my 250 cost ~$400 to reg + $125 to 3rd party insure where.
  5. In Queensland, it's ~$125 rego + ~$255 ctp for twelve months. It seems not to make any difference what size the bike is, but ctp is significantly cheaper if the bike is registered as single-seat (which mine is - only ~$90 ctp).

As for hidden costs, watch out for stamp duty when transferring a second-hand bike into your name - again, in QLD, it's 2% of the bike's value. And find out how much an independent mechanical inspection will cost you, if you want one done.

That info may not help you in VIC, but I just thought I'd chime in with my experience :)
  6. Rego is cheaper only for bikes under 125cc otherwise all bikes are the same - total cost will however depend on your postcode.
  7. 250cc here in Vic... according to my rego back in Feb.
  8. Actually we're both wrong - checked the Vicroads site and there's separate categories for TAC premium for:
    Under 60cc
    and +500cc
    It's the $50 Safety Levy that only applies to bikes over 125cc.
    Edit: All the info for working out rego cost in Victoria can be found here
  9. $366.20 for a cbr250rr
    Third party insurance with racv is $88 per year, full comp was like $1400 :( (22/M/No riding exp/Reasonable driving history)
  10. hahaha thanks alot people! it's given me a fair indication of how much i should expect to pay hehe im gonna be soooo poor. Now i gotta get back to reading this forum haha soo much too read. Whoever wrote 'Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide' (i think adam glass) is a gun, good stuff in there. i appreciate the effort mate.