Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Rego Transfer Advice

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by scsaxott, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

I bought a bike and it was a big stretch financially but it was my dream bike so I went for it. My question is about VicRoads rego transfer. Within 14 days I went to the office and had the rego transfer done. I went to pay the stamp duty and transfer fees on by card but it was declined as I was a couple of dollars short. I was then told the transfer had already been done into my name and I had 28 days to pay the fees. Tommorow is 28 days and I'm struggling to get the total together. Does anyone know what happens if I delay paying this amount? Should I go in and ask for an extension or let it run and hope for the best. I will be paying it but a little late. So will they cancel the rego or will the transfer bounce and the rego go back into the seller's name? Hope this makes sense and that somebody can help me out with info. I'm very poor but happy to be riding this beast :)

2. Complex one that one. I would guess the bike will just become unregistered. Better call them and ask: 13 11 71

3. From what i can see at the bottom of the Application for transfer of registration form is this;

The seller (disposer) must inform the buyer in writing if the vehicle is recorded on the Victorian or an interstate written-off vehicles register. Failure to do so may result in a penalty of over $1000. The buyer (acquirer) must complete and sign this application with the seller and submit to VicRoads with relevant documents and pay the applicable motor vehicle duty and transfer fee within 14 days of sale. Failure to do so may result in a penalty of over $500.

I'd expect a penalty fee to be imposed if you cannot pay the transfer / duty costs.

As cjvfrcjvfr pointed out, I would be on the phone to them in the morning to see if you can work an arrangement out. Leaving it to the last moment to let them know might not work in your favour but good luck with it.

Cheers
    Juz

4. Mate if you're only a few bob short can you not just transfer that amount into your card account which will effectively increase your limit by that amount?

5. theres a good chance they could cancel the rego as the fees have not been paid in the time given !

chillibutton, not everyone has an overdraft on there bank account where you can spend more money then whats in your bank account.

6. hey everyone,
    thanks for the replies. i just called vicroads and they said that I actually had till the 30th March to pay the amount. I don't know why they told me 28 days originally. Stoked!

• Like Like x 4
  7. I'm aware of that, the OP mentioned a card which meant (to me anyway) that a credit card was being used, hence my answer. Hadn't thought of a debit card in which case I would agree with you.

8. Well done to the OP !
    Pays to call and speak directly with the authorities. In most cases, people are more than happy to assist in extreme cases.
    Glad it worked out for you mate :)

• Like Like x 1