Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Registering/Insuring new motorbike

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Kevin S, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Hello everyone,

I have a few questions. I am buying a new bike soon in NSW so i hope someone can help me with some queries.
    1. How to get it registered?
    2. Am i allowed to ride it from the dealer to my house without registration but right after purchase?
    3. Which insurance company is good?
    4. I want to get a comprehensive cover. Do i need to get a CTP first and then get the comprehensive or do i just get the comprehensive insurance and CTP will be included as well?
    Any help on these questions are greatly appreciated. Thanking you guys in advance. :)

2. If it is a brand new bike then the dealer will register the bike for you. When you pick it up it will be registered.

You can't register a bike without CTP - Compulsory Third Party insurance.

Whether you get comprehensive insurance or not is dependent on what you want or if it is under finance then the finance company may make it a requirement under the finance agreement.

Personally I would recommend either Swan or QBE, but it's best to get quotes and read PDS.
  3. Comprehensive insurance covers everything except CTP. You need CTP to get the bike registered. RMS web site will tell you all about getting the bike registered. In NSW if the bike is not new and has been out of rego for more than 3 months, you will need a blue slip inspection. As above, if the bike is New, the dealer will register it for you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. #5 Kevin S, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2014
    Thank you so much to b12mick and Senetor17. You guys gave me some very helpful info. Appreciate it guys. I have asked around about the insurance and most have recommended QBE. I think i will be getting it from them. Just need to have a chat with them to get a clear picture. Appreciate all the help. Thanks again.

Sorry forgot to mention Big W. Thanks to you as well. :)