Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Registering a Used Bike in NSW

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Thomas, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Hey guys, just after a bit of advice since I'm new to motorcycles.

I'm going to be looking at a used motorbike that is currently unregistered.

What kind of costs/fees are involved to register a bike that is unregistered? [Disregarding the cost of parts that need to be replaced/bought]

Is it similar to a registering a car by just getting a blueslip from an Authorised Inspection Station?

Bascially, I need to know the steps that need to be taken in order to obtain registration for a bike in NSW.

I've already had a look at the RTA website but I can only find the cost of registration renewal for motorcycles.
  2. Welcome.

Yup you need a blueslip, then take it to the rta. Pretty much it really apart from the usual ctp etc. If its been unrego'd for a long time then the rta may require extra testing (its a point of they can request this, but its rare and usually only when the bike has been unrego'd for a very long time).
  3. $420 for your run of the mill rego that includes blue slip (mechanic)$40, green slip (insurance) $260 (600$ if over 250cc), license plates (RTA) $40, and rego RTA $80.

If the vehicle is under 10 years old and is a repairable write of and/or proof of ownership via registration cannot be confirm will incure a VIV check (additional inspection to the sum of $400) via rta mechanics to make sure its hasnt got stolen parts.

If it has no Complience plate and is made before 1989 will require engineers report ($500) and import approval copy (National saftey road traffic authority(what ever its called)
  4. dont forget stamp duty 3% of sale price from memory
  5. Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to have a look at this bike some time this week and I'll decide whether or not it'll be worth buying otherwise, I'll just buy a bike that is already registered to avoid all of the hassles.
  6. Dude, 420? I paid 320, 280 rego (including rego, CTP, stamp duty and an 'establishment fee'), plus $40 for the RWC ... Still, I'm in the ACT and my bike's only a 250 ...
  7. license plates ?
    mec inspection?

plus your in act so
  8. if you are buying from a wrecker they often do deals with the local mechanic and will generally throw in blue slip if the bike is good to go.