Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Registering a bike expired (only 3 weeks) [NSW]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by EnigmaOMC, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Purchasing a second hand bike whos rego expires on the 22nd of this month but i will only be buying it on the 10th of Feb. Just wondering if i need blue slips etc?

MOD: only because this is your first post
  2. you have up to 3 months to renew registration in nsw without a blue slip. Pink only is required during this time.

If you take an unregistered bike to the RTA though, they will say that you aren't renewing (ie it has lapsed and you aren't the registered owner) and you'll need a blueslip.

Easiest course of action is probably to agree to buy the bike once the existing owner renews the registration - factor this cost into how much you pay for the bike. All that aside however, a blueslip for a bike isn't a big deal and only costs about a dollar more than a pink slip.
  3. yep, it's all well and good to get the blueslip, but sometimes the RTA decides to pull a "random check" on the bike/car. I believe this was instated to make sure that the mechanics weren't writing out dodgy blueslips. I've had a random check done before and you're out of pocket even further as you have to pay for it in order to get the vehicle registered (and we're talking about $400 for a car, but I'm not sure how much it is for a bike).

It's a bit of a rort IMO, but that has to be taken into consideration.

I think it's best to get it re-registered by the owner first just in case there is a random check.
  4. nope - random checks are all for identity to stop rebirthing, and cost you nothing. The $400 jobs are for written off vehicles and are at the owners cost. Blue slip identity checks are no cost except for time to go to one of the three stations in sydney.