Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Regarding custom helmets??

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Adam HYOSUNG GT650R LAMS, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Hi guys, was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a custom helmet in Melbourne. Thanks guys!

peace out

2. What do you mean by "custom"?

You want someone to make you a one of a kind... that still has to pass all of the tests?

3. i meant like buying a plane helmet and getting a specific picture put on it.

peace out

4. Maybe ask ML... erm... Takamii :).

5. Any airbrush artist can do it

6. Don't know much about Helmets or Helmet standards, so excuse me if i'm ignorant, but wouldn't the paints/materials used on the helmet need to be of a specific type or grade as not to weaken the structure of the helmet? If the answer is yes, then i doubt any airbrush artist can do it, If there are no rules around the paint/materials, then SWEEEEET! Need to find an airbrush artists with mad skills hehehehe

7. Yes, but it depends on what the helmet is made of.

Fibreglass or CF tend to be a lot more solvent resistant (as long as you keep them away from acetone), but even a styrene shell is fine if you use the right paint. Simply a matter of finding an airbrush artist who knows what they're doing.

8. A few years ago I read the results of a small research project into the effects of solvents/paints/glues on helmet shell materials.

The upshot was that, even after being exposed to some quite aggressive solvents, once the solvents had evaporated there was no significant change in the mechanical properties of the shell.

It wasn't a comprehensive study by any means and is certainly now out of date, given the continuous advance of polymer technology, but it stopped me worrying about anything that is ever likely to come into contact with a helmet, custom paint jobs included.

Just make sure the AS markings are properly masked off.

9.  Top
  10. it appears that open face helmets come in Black, Black, or Black,

11. Funny shade of black :p
    sturgis-gloss%20white.

12. usually comes with a police man under it, Hahahahahahaha

13. Pale black :D.

14. Thanks alot guys much appreciated
    peace out