Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Refresher Training

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by lui, Aug 20, 2009.

1. I haven't been riding for the past few year, was wondering if a refresher course would help to re-familiarise bike handling or if it's necessary.

Used to ride a 400cc for a couple of years then a 750cc for an year, that was 7 years ago, so have not touch a bike for 7 years.

I'm interested to get a bigger bike this time, around 1000cc, but a bit concern about control and handling, hence the idea of some training before purchase.

What do you think? Any training centres in Sydney other than learner training?

TIA.

2. stay upright would seem to be the most obvious.

3. You say you've been riding for years? hasn't riding taught you anything? just jump on a ride the damn thing!

4. Get the bike and see how you go, if your lifeless at the end of the week it would of been a good idea to go do a course.

5. +1

6. I'd suggest a course. It will be the quickest way of getting back into it. I've done HART ones down here in vic and found them very good.

7. not bad yourself :grin:

8. Do a course...

As motorcyclists, we should be committed to life long training and awareness.
    Just look at the motorcycle safety foundation in america -
    they sugest we should be a life long learner by taking refresher riding courses - regardless of experience.

At least at a course, its a controlled enviromnment, where you will be instructed to dust off the cobwebs - rather than on the roads.

9. Definitely look at doing a course. While a beginner course is not appropriate, get in touch with the various providers and see what they offer for people like you.

I don't have a good knowledge of Sydney training but Stay Upright or HART (Honda Australia Rider Training), to name just two, have excellent reputations.

If noting else it will give your confidence a big boost (and possibly help with your insurance)

10. Just jump on and give it a go. My old man's been tossing up in the same situation as you, but replace that 7 years with 20. He followed me in the car out to an empty industrial park on a sunday arvo and took it for a spin. Took him all of 30 seconds to get used to the controls, but was fine after that. On the other side of the argument, he is still planning on taking a refresher course sometime soon before he gets into any sort of heavy riding.

I think it all just comes down to confidence. He said he wouldn't touch it til he took lessons, but came home one morning with a helmet and a giant smile on his face. All of a sudden those lessons have become a maybe. If you have access to a bike, give it a go.

You'll know after a quick squirt around the block how much the lessons would help.

11. I came back to riding after a 20 year break and so far I have done an intermediate course with HART, an Advanced 1 cource with Stay Upright and plan later this year to do the Calafornia Superbikes course at Philip Island. I class myself as still having something to learn.

It was such a shock the change to traffic conditions between what I remembered and what it is today.

It is funny how many people say "Just jump on and give it a go" and we wonder why the incedence of accidents for returning riders is so high.

12. Ref: Australian Department of
    Infrastructure, Transport, Regional
    Development and Local Government.
    (2008). Fatal and serious road crashes
    involving motorcyclists, Monograph 20.

13. I also had 20+ years off, and found the traffic very different. Mainly because of the acceleration of the average family car. Mum's current shopping trolley now has twice the power to weight ratio of an HK Holden. Because of that, I reckon that to be safe in the traffic, us on 2 wheels need to be a whole lot more quick & nimble than them on 4 wheels. Which means a bike with plenty of grunt, which makes me doubt the wisdom of forcing new riders onto little bikes, which are a bit like a little lump on the road just waiting to be run over.
    When I came back to riding it was on a liter bike and it was the correct thing to do. When things are getting too up close and personal in the lane next to me, a quick squirt will put me in a safer place. :grin:

14. I did the HART intermediate course back in June. There was a guy there who was back on the bike after 15 years break. He had ridden about 400ks before the course and said that he got a lot out of it and was a better rider after the course than before.

Do the course.

15. Thanks guys and gals, looks like doing a course will be beneficial.

Now the question is should I buy the bike first and use it for the course or do the course first (rent a bike)?

Cheers!

16.  Top
  17. If you do the Intermediate course at HART they will put you on a Hornet 600 or a CB400. You are not allowed to ride your own bike.

18. thats in vic, not sure if its the same in NSW.

I did the intermediate course before I upgraded to a 650 and it was handy to be able to talk to the instructor guys as to what would be suitable for my riding skills.

19. Only CBF250 in NSW. Or use your own bike.

20. HARTs not that far from Melbourne airport. fly down for a few days. fit it in on the way home from the motogp