Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Reefton today (Saturday)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Chairman, Sep 3, 2005.

1. The day being nice an' all, and tommorow being fathers day (the one day of the year when you can guarantee you won't get to do what you want) I decided to go for a ride. Firstly, out to Dandenong to see what bargains were available at that sale. I was offered 25% off Draggin jeans (so they were $150) but sadly there were none in the style I wanted. Everthing was discounted - jackets, race leathers, boots helmets so if you're looking for stuff it might be worth a visit on Sunday.

A quick stop to see my uncle at Monash medical centre and then ho, hum, lets do Reefton.

Up Wellington Rd, through Avonsleigh and on to Warburton. All good so far (lots of bikes at the McMahons Creek pub). Lovely ride up to the Woods Point turn off and thats when the road got really ugly. Heading Warburton to Marysville was a good choice - the worst of the crap was in the other lane.

The surface is a mixture of sticks, wet leaves, bark, sawdust (from the numerous trees that fell across the road) and gravel. And it was cold. really cold (should have bought that bargain Dririder).

The worst section was Cambarville to the Falls Creek turnoff. Falls Creek to Marysville was a little better, but lots of gravel stretches.

Marysville was deserted - not a bike in sight. I decided to push on to Healesville and have coffee there. I grabbed a bite to eat and, on the way back to the bike, a bloke stopped me and asked if I wanted my fortune read. As it was now 3.00 and I had to collect the kids from their mum (in Yarraville) by 4.00, my future was bleakly evident so I declined.

Low jet route back to Melbourne, a smidge late on collecting the kids, but not a bad day all in all. Everything arrived home in one piece, so I'll chalk that one up as a success.

2. Sounds like a fun day Mark.

I am up in Queensland all week, and I am having severe bike withdrawals!

I think Man Bag will be getting a good workout Monday morning!

3. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  4. You want to come and join in Smee??

Two's company, Three's a crowd, Four is a bloody good time :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:D :D :D

5. I took a mate & 5yo nephew out to Yarra Glen & Marysville to check out the Rally of Melbourne yesterday arvo. Also gave me a chance to run in the new front tyres on the VY.

Several bikes heading back towards Healesville and one scared the obsolute #$%@ out of me by lane splitting between cars going in opposite directions (one was me :shock: ).

Mind you I nearly had a head on with a VX SS on the way back when he decided he needed part of my side of the road due to the shear speed he was doing at the time trying to get around the corner :roll:

Learned something important as well. Don't feed chips & soft drink to a 5yo and go for a run over the Black Spur. The worse thing you can hear is the following words from the back seat "Uncle PVDA I feel sick", :facepalm: he didn't spray paint the inside of the car but I certainly slowed down in a hurry and stopped at the picnic area at the half way mark.

My "friend" in his SS zipped past while we were stopped and tried a passing move as he passed the picnic area that didn't work and he had to lock up and duck back in in a hell of a hurry. :roll:

All this just confirmed my belief that the Spur is no longer a weekend road due to the idiots that populate it. I drove hard but well below my cars & my limits, especially considering I had passengers on board, but it's so easy for another idiots mistake to take us with them on roads like that...............
  6. Time is definitely nigh for all motorcyclists to get jobs that have time off during the weeks so we don't have to put up with the idiots on the roads on the weekend.
    Having said that RC and myself took the long route to Newcastle yesterday: Windsor, McGrath's Hill, Wiseman's Ferry and across to Peat's Ridge, and only saw a couple of bikes (one an MV, lust and covet) and NO cars of any consequence.
    Returned late in the afternoon in the rain by the most direct route, F3 and F6. A good, fun and safe ride.