Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Redbooks, bikesales.com.au and vtr250s.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by thestig, Jun 3, 2009.

1. So looking through redbooks, comparing prices of VTRs with bikesales Ive narrowed it down to a few possibilities. Which one is right?

a) Redbooks uses a formula based depreciation method and doesnt account for things like the fact that vtrs are such a great learner bike therefore not loosing that much value

b) people are overpricing them just in the hope you won't bargain them down and will accept a lot lower prices

c) none of the above
  2. Redbook is generally aimed at the dealer trade-in price, so that dealers can detail, service and resell the bike with a warranty and maintain profit, while selling at a higher price than private sales.
  3. I was under the impression that redbook is based on the "dutiable value" that you put on the bike when its sold... so people who are helping out mates and put a lesser price on the transfer form so the mate doesn't have to pay as much in transfers.
    Which in turn makes the redbook prices decrease
  4. They specify trade in price range and private sale price range.
  5. Thats the impression I was under too. People will always complain that its too high/low.

The reason you can't match the price is because you are looking on bikesales, where the prices are always a fair bit higher than the sellers minimum to give some bargaining room. Try comparing it to 'completed listings' on ebay. That'll give you a better idea of what a bike actually sells for.

Recently the GFC has pushed down the price of some bikes. For instance, I frequently see litre bikes sell for 1-2k less than the suggested redbook price range.