Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Red lighting revenue raising

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by incitatus, Aug 14, 2006.

1. "The results of this study suggest that the installation of red light cameras at these sites did not provide any reduction in accidents, rather there has been an increase in rear end and adjacent approaches accidents on a before and after basis and also by comparison with the changes in accidents at intersection signals,” he found. “There has been no demonstrated value of the red light camera as an effective countermeasure.”

2. I don't see how a red light camera is a revenue raiser? I mean, it's not like you can accidently, ever so slightly, forget that it's there and go through a red light.

And having sat and watched them go off, the ones I've seen wait a long time before they go flash.
  3. Interesting to see in the article that in some studies the incidence of rear end crashes actually increased.

I guess this would be a result of people braking late/too hard to stop for the lights as they changed to red, resulting in a domino effect of harsh braking...
  4. Surely this would be the fault of the people following NOT the car in front braking hard!!?? I mean isn't that the whole not following too close argument?
  5. Some time ago, a spokesperson for the TAC (in Vic) defended the introduction of new red light cameras with the comment that nose to tail collisions were inherently less dangerous than side-on impacts and that therefore there was a net gain in safety. Bear in mind that this was right at the beginning of the introduction of genuine red light cameras a couple of years ago (not the abortive installation of "phoney" cameras about 10 years ago). So they would not have had statistical data to confirm this at the time. They pretty much expected nose-to-tails to increase, but were prepared to accept this.
    I have to say that I pretty much agree in principle. It probably isn't any safer for riders, but I would guess that it is better for the population as a whole. This is one safety initiative that I find it difficult to argue with.
  6. Problem with red light cameras is that it makes people far more likely to jump on the brakes if the light turns orange for fear of getting booked. Sure cars should be keeping their distance but braking hard to the point that the wheels lock or the ABS kicks in simply to stop for an intersection isn't exactly safe driving either.
  7. Well then people should know that stopping at a set of lights if they're orange is supposed to be when you can do it safely.

I've run red lights because I've been unable to stop in a manner I would consider safe before (99% of the time, it's in the rain).
  8. Yeah I think most people do know this - it's just that with red light cameras it seems like people are more concerned with not getting booked than anything else. Saw one thing when I was in Malaysia recently that I thought was a brilliant idea - and that was a large counter on the lights displaying the number of seconds before the light turned to orange so it was impossible to get "caught out" by a sudden change in the lights. It also displayed how much longer the lights would stay red - handy for lanesplitting motorcycles.

9. That is no excuse Sonja, if you approached the lights with more speed than would enable you to stop, you are at fault, a wet road just means the 'safe' speed is slower, an icy one slower still. It is exactly the same reason that there is no possible legal defence for rear-ending someone, it is the rider/driver's responsibility to ensure braking safety.
  10. I agree- following drivers would be at fault for following too closely/not paying attention etc... but I think the point was if there were no cameras at the intersections, then this would happen less regardless of who's at fault.
  11. Shhhhh! No using logic. :p

Thanks for the reminder, anyway. My latest personal challenge is being a safer rider, so I'll keep that in mind. Any other tips are welcomed, too. :)
  12. Observation.

Moved here from the UK 10yrs ago. Running red lights happens there, but rarely. In the time I was doing 80k a year I'd see it once or twice a month. Move here and the person I was staying with (also from the UK) told me to watch out at traffic lights. First thing he told me was watch out for people running the lights, the next thing was to watch the car behind me, as they won't be expecting me to stop on an amber. And true to form, saw it all the time.

Difference is there, people anticipate the green and everyone knows that. So you don't run a red, in case you meet ol' speedy doing a rally start from the side.

I am always careful at lights , so many people love to sneak through,
  13. Except when the car in front speeds up to make the lights, changes their mind and the car following does not have ABS. Saw that one.
  14. Or when the car in front doesn't have working brake lights - seen that a few times.
  15. Isn't that considered non-roadworthy?

17. tsk tsk, ride to the conditions.
  18. As a result, this is one case where I reckon there should be more speed cameras linked to the red light cameras. That way when some di_ckhead not only runs the light but accelerates to warp factor 6 to do it, he/she will get the double whammy and maybe lose their licence. It is such a dangerous act that there shouldn't be any holding back on enforcement in this case.

Adelaide is one of the worst cities I have driven for this. I lost count of the number of times in the 10 years I lived in Adelaide that I almost got rear ended because I braked normally for an orange light but the guy behind me gunned it as soon as the light changed.
  19. If you ran red because you could not stop safely, then you were driving too fast for the condition.
  20. The problem as I see it, is the delay that occurs between the red light in one direction to the green light in the other. This encourages people to try & sneak through on the red light.
    In New Zealand the light change is simultaneous. You don't try to sneak through cause you KNOW you will get collected by a car crossing with the green. Harsh but effective. Don't have any statistics but seems to work well.