Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Red Hill Brewery

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Fa1c0n, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Red hill brewery - What can i say... apart from its the source of all happieness in the world.

God came down from the clouds above and touched the Hop vines that grow here and allowed humans to produce the nectar of the god from them.

Before i continue i wish to note that, I in no way, shape or form work for or am a stakeholder in the Red Hill Brewery.

Red hill Brewery is a small micro brewery (small micro? not shure that i needed the small their considering micro means small? oh well) in red hill. They grow the hops their then turn it into beer.

I discovered red hill Golden ale about 2 years ago and it instantly became my favorite drink in the world.

The Golden ale has a rather Floral taste, its so delicious. I guess its like a hot naked babe straddling a Ducatti doing burnouts on your toung. :p

The ride to the brewery is a brilliant one rolling hills, curvy voluptuous twisties, vineyards and stunning views. (and from my experiance, no police 8-[)

Once you arrive, order a pint of Golden ale and ask for some fresh green hops to put in your beer. 3 or 4 should do, bob them up and down with your finger to release the full flavour of the little buds into your drink.

Sip the pint...

What comes next?

In the spirit of safety - You stand up after your one drink, go to the bar, buy a six pack and a Red hill Brewery pint glass, Pick some hops from the vine at the door and ride home.

Then you relax like me... Sitting here sipping my fresh hops micro brew golden ale.

God i love it.

PS: The food their rocks! Also when buying a 6 pack, expect to pay $24.

http://www.redhillbrewery.com.au/

2. Their "Temptation" beer is better, although that's a Belgian style strong Golden Ale so is a little different.

As far as straight Golden Ales go if you're buying pre-packaged the Kross Golden Ale out of SA is better, but if you can get Red Hill fresh from the brewery then go for it. Beer's always better fresh from the brewery :).

For Victorians I recommend the Holgate brewery in Woodend. Excellent food, and has some of the finest beers available.

A handy guide to which beers are worth buying:
    http://www.beerawards.com/results.asp
    (I get to drink the leftovers from each years event so have had the chance to try many of them :)).

3. Holgates alright. although ive never had it from the brewery, only every from the shops.

I prefer red hill. Is soooo delicious and gets you soooo wonderfully cheerfully extatically drunk.

(I had to backspace like 500 times when typing this. Im no longer here lol. My brain checked out about 1 beer ago)

4. JD - Btw, can you get the hops from holgate? will they give you them to put in ur beer?

5. I tried the Scotch Ale as I prefer a beer with a fuller more hoppy flavour and when I saw that it was a coppery colour, I had to give it a try and it was superb.

I haven't been to the brewery yet but after your report, I think I'll be heading down there soon!
    :beer:

6. Cheers hawkeye!

Should really make a ride out of it, however for the rest of us P platers we would just have to have a good meal and save the beer for later! lol....

See you down their some time hey!

7. 15 - 20 mins from my place. I'm going there... :D

Thanks for the update.:applause:

8. oscars alehouse in belgrave has all these great beers plus about 60 more , next time your in the hills , stop in for a tasty drop

9. Never asked Holgate about hops since I personally consider adding them to a beer glass to be a bit of a wank. They won't alter the taste of the beer since the contact time is far too short, and the temperature much too low. All they will do is add slightly to the aroma, but this shouldn't be necessary on fresh beer, especially a Golden Ale, since it'll only mask some of the more subtle malt and fruity ester aromas typically found in that style.

10. Hate to start a war but - i consider what you just said a "wank".

Adding them instantly changes the flavour. The polen or resin from in the buds makes the beer far more bitter.

It DOES change the flavour otherwise i would have just bought the 6 pack from my local 2 mins down the road instead of riding to the brewery itself...

11. I have an odd feeling im being trolled...

12. You may think it does but bitterness comes from iso-alpha acids, which are only released by hops on heating. Dry-hopping, or adding hops after the heating of the wort, really only adds aroma - and this typically takes several weeks to develop.

What you're doing is smelling hops whilst drinking beer. Shoving a hop flower up your nostril would achieve the same effect. Either way you're not actually changing the beer, but if that's what you like there's plenty of online home-brew shops which will sell you all the dried hops you could ever want (which are roughly 4-5 times more pungent than fresh).

13. Right. Well...

I like the fresh ones.

I like the Red Hill ones.

I like them in my beer.

I like the way it tastes.

It might be just the aroma that changes however - smell is a MAJOR part of taste, so if it does change the smell who gives a rats bottom. Because when i drink it, i love it.

Everything in the Red Hill brew comes from Red Hill, and in my opinion, thats what makes it so good, not to mention they brew properly over time instead of instant ferment like the major beers do.

Herbs fresh from the garden are always better than dry herbs from europe/china sold at safeway.

14. As a homebrewer for many years I'll tell you that you are wrong here.

Bitterness from hops comes from the process of isomerisation where molecules in the hops are converted into bitterness. This occurs when boiling a brew.

There's a real art to aroma, flavour and bitterness from hops when using them in a beer.

Aroma and no flavour or bitterness will come out of hops if you add them any time after a beer has stopped boiling. Add them between 20 and flame out you will get various levels of aroma and flavour and sometimes some subtle bitterness.

To get significant bitterness from hops you need to boil hops for around an hour.

So adding hops to a cold beer after boiling and fermentation is going to give you a bit of aroma and thats it.

15. Oh Sorry JD,

Fa1c0ns claims about bitterness got me into such an ire :p that I forgot to look at the second page of posts before responding. Anyway sounds like your know you brewing too.

16. Right, well i stick by it! lol...

You all may very well be correct however, have you ever sucked on a hop? Effing bitter my friends!

I just cannot agree with you that it DOESNT change the flavour, as i had a 4 beers with hops and 2 without and their was a big difference.

Maybe because the hops i was using were fresh instead of dry?

I even just put one in straight vodka then and it did greatly vary the flavour... im not crazy, i cant be? can i? lol....

17. Nope. The malt is sourced from Germany.

18. Well that shut me up!
    :-k

And on that note -

:soapbox: I love Red Hill Brewery and i love their hops.

I love the way it changes the flavour.

*closes eyes, covers ears and makes a loud "La La La" noise*

Someone please lock this thread before i get any more infuriated!

19. Instant ferment? I don't think any brewry has mastered instant fermentation yet. Although Red Hill may mature their beers longer after fermentation.

To appease you a little though, I just grabbed a hops pellet out of the freezer, had a suck and it is quite bitter. I've never tried putting fresh hops in a cold beer, but I suppose it could give a little sensation of bitterness if you put a lot in. And 4 buds in a single beer is a hell of a lot.

20. Having a brewery and beer research lab. at work kinda helps :).