Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Red Dwarf and motorbikes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by undii, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Oooh, 2 of my fav things get together :D Just noticed this in the latest MCN email newsletter:

Red Dwarf MotoGP commentator Julian Ryder will be appearing in the new Red Dwarf mini-series after getting to know Danny John Jules (Cat). Turns out the Red Dwarf cast are into bikes - Jules and Chris Barrie (Rimmer) both ride. Look out for a column in MCN from Jules soon!

From http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2009/April/1-5/dd/

Yes, that really is Eurosport MotoGP commentator Julian Ryder on the set of the new Red Dwarf mini-series.

Ryder plays the part of a bus driver in Red Dwarf: Back to Earth, which goes out on Dave over the Easter weekend.

He landed the gig after getting to know Danny John Jules, more widely known as the staggeringly shallow Cat in the surreal space sitcom. “Danny’s an R1 boy,†reveals Ryder.

“He came up to the commentary box a couple of times and we stayed in touch. This is all his doing.â€

It turns out that obnoxious hologram Rimmer (Chris Barrie) is also a biker, though he prefers classics. “It was a thoroughly intense experience,†said Ryder, who spent half a day filming for his one-line part.

“It was a strange thing to see Kryten and Rimmer walking around a car park in Shepperton.â€

Red Dwarf: Back to Earth runs for three nights on Dave from Good Friday.

Not the best of photos for Craig Charles :eek:
  2. When's it gunna be on here :?:
  3. Who care's??? Just torrent it Sat Morning...
  4. sweet! ive seen all the RD episodes, im just suprised theyre still making it.

ill be keeping an eye on torrents :grin:
  5. A break down

Back To Earth - Part One

Friday, April 10th, 9pm
    Nine years later the Red Dwarf crew are older but still none the wiser. Lister's busy day of annoying Rimmer is interrupted by the discovery of a dimension-hopping leviathan in the ship's mile-deep water tank.
    Back To Earth - Part Two

Saturday, April 11th, 9pm
    Rimmer's replacement, Katerina (Sophie Winkleman), is determined to guide Lister back to his home planet. But Earth in 2009 is not everything the boys had expected, and Rimmer has no intention of being replaced.
    Back To Earth - Part Three

Sunday, April 12th, 9pm
    Knowing they are destined to die, the Dwarfers head to a mysterious address in London to plead for more life.

Destined to die? Rimmer's replacement? A really, really big water tank? To find out what the hell is really going on you'll have to tune in to Dave!

2 days, 11 hrs to go! :D
  6. Anyone know if it will be aired in Aus?
  7. Probably around 2012 , Id guess.
  8. Sad because it's probably true. Although you have to give the ABC credit for showing the new Dr Who series without much delay. Maybe they'll follow suit with this series.

Otherwise there's always the internets.
  9. All TV shows live on the internets.
    Top Gear was only a month or so behind too.
  10. For those of us who can't get ADSL and are stuck on Satellite, torrenting i a nightmare =P

Maybe I'll just download it at work ;)
  11. What the smeg!
  12. torrents are ugh. If you want to d/l from the internet, look into usenet and/or ftp. Much easier and WAY less overheads :)
  13. You're having me on, right?
  14. Chris BArrie ( Rimmer ) has also done a few documentaries on bikes - mainly the english ones and the history of the evolution of the motorcycle ( I think he did one about the history of the Isle of Man race too )

They are interesting docos. ( I have seen on Foxtel and Select TV ) - was called Massive Speed I think
  15. Caught one of Barrie's doco's a while back with a guy in England who restores/rebuilds old Brit race bikes - interesting to watch, and you van tell he's loving every minute.

Now where can I get a job like that?
  16. Fantastic news !!!

I still remember the episodes from my high school years.

The best were series 1-6 IMO.
    The latter episodes were more polished (SFX) but the gags were wearing thin.
  17. first rule of usenet is never talk about usenet
  18. just watched the new episode, its bit different but it has the spirit of the original
  19. what the smeggin' hell is Dave?

well clearly you're breaking the rule, fool :p