Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recycled Sewage OK?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Justus, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Not Sure

2. No

0 vote(s)
  3. Yes

0 vote(s)
  1. 'The Australian' newspaper conducted a poll showing 7 out of 10 would
    be prepared to drink sewage if it was treated to the same quality as existing
    water supplies.

2. All the scientific research presented in the failed Queensland referendum on the subject said that any waste water can be purified to a higher level than the water we are presently drinking.

However, we could save millions of gallons of water a day if building and council and private establishments were not using water of the same quality as we drink to flush the millions of toilets in this country. How many automatically-flushing urinals are wasting how much drinking water per minute round the nation, and for what reason? Public health??

And let's not talk about the billions of gallons of water that runs straight off our roofs and streets and out to sea with no attempt to trap it every time it rains......
  3. All water is recycled. It's just a matter of whether it's recycled by technology or by nature. I used to work with medium size water purification plants. Technology can do it just as well as nature - often even better. Plus the water will be constantly tested.

We will eventually have to go with this technology, so we'd better get used to it.

Opposition to this technology is driven by ignorance and squeamishness.
  4. And lets not forget that an awful lot of the rest of the World recycles water for use as drinking water. The water in Melbourne is some of the best in the World, but if it ain't raining then we have to do something.
  5. In my eyes that's where the debate should rest.
  6. People talk so much shit, why not start drinking it :)
  7. I thought that was what we are already drinking, thats why I have a filter. :LOL:
    Thinking about it, I don't think any treatment would work on my sewage. :wink:
  8. +1 Hornet, and the deliberate miss-information campaigns carried out by our elected 'representatives' on this topic alone is almost treasonous in this day and age.
  9. We use dam water in the toilets here, and will do the same when we build our new place.
    Plus we are on tank water. It really makes you think about water conservation when your supply is relatively finite.

Regards, Andrew.
  10. Astronauts have been doing it for years....if it's good enough for NASA

11. No, I don't care how much that filter and chemical it up.

If my after grog bog has been in the water, it ain't going near my lips.
  12. I rest my case...
  13. Why is it can't they use recycled water for agriculture and industry, and just leave the fresh water for household use etc. Statistics say that Agriculture uses about 65 % of our fresh water along with about 20% Industry and 7% for household use. Admittedly we should be using recycled water for our gardens, toilets etc but I believe they should be looking closer to that than making us drink recycled water.

Just my two cents worth anyway! :oops:
  14. Tosser :)
  15. Fine by me. Many other countries do it, and after seeing the Rouse Hill recycling plant in action, I'd even drink that stuff, and it's considered 'brown'
  16. I live in a suburb with Grey-Water recycling !

yeah, its good for the environment, and sure it goes through UV filters, aeration, floatation, super chlorination, microfiltration . . . . and other processes . . .but i'm still skeptical of drinking it. I only use it for the garden and showing off washing the car with a hose because i'm allowed ! LOL :LOL:

I've noticed it leaves scum marks on the car if you let it air dry ! :eek:
  17. Hey the current water supplies come from dams that fish live, breed and die in - how's that any better than using waste water as the source.
  18. pmsl :LOL:

Maybe you or someone else can answer this stupid question of mine.
    Why cant &/or isent the above done for ocean water?
  19. MG apparently the costs involved to converting salt water to fresh are extremely high, alot higher than converting grey water to fresh. Be more logical I would have thought, seeing theres alot more salt water nowadays, with the global warming etc
  20. So its a cost issue. Thanks Alli.