Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recycled music

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GoTeam, Jul 17, 2009.

1. On Green Day's latest CD there's a song (yeah, not specific but can update this once the CD makes it onto rotation in the stacker in the cage) where if you replaced the lyrics in the chorus to the lyrics from Church On Sunday from their Warning CD, it'd be a perfect fit (thanks to the recycled guitar riff).

Linkin Park's offering for Transformers 2 is pretty close to What I've Done. Replace the lyrics for the chorus and it'd be a perfect fit.

The bass line for Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice was quite clearly ripped from one of Queen's songs.

Have you got any you can add to the list?
  2. I'm pretty sure the Verve got pwned because they used that Beethoven tune in Bittersweet symphony.
  3. Oh man there are heaps of them...

Let's see -

Billy Joel ripped off the second movement of Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique for the chorus of his song "This night"
    There's some controversy regarding whether Coldplay ripped off Joe Satriani's song "If I could fly" for their song "Viva la Vida"
    Puff Daddy ripped the backing of "Every breath I take" and used it for "I'll be missing you"
    Kid Rock ripped Warren Zevons "Werewolves of London" for his song "All summer long"
    "Superfreak" used in MC Hammer's "Can't touch this"...

the list goes on...
  4. According to ABC radio "The Challenge" segment, The Seekers ripped off a Russian orchestral piece ( i am trying to find the name of it ) for their "Carnival is Over"...

5. I'm pretty sure that was the stones, and the Verve got taken to court and earned no royalties off that one at all.

There's two ads on TV at the moment, or recently, that shit me to tears. One was a blatant rip-off of the White Stripes "Doorbell" and another, a cadbury ad, was a dodgy, dodgy version of Dave Brubecks "Unsquare Dance"

That last one shitted me the most because Cadbury sued another company for use of the colour purple.
  6. #6 Bonk, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  7. Although the two riffs are quite similar, I think Kid Rock ripped off Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Sweet Home Alabama', rather than 'Werewolves of London'. I mean, he does mention it in the lyrics...
  8. Phil Collins goes in for the slightly less obvious dodgy ripoff:

His 'Billy Don't Lose My Number' is far inferior to Steely Dan's 'Ricky Don't Lose That Number'

I think there are even more examples, but I've repressed them...
  9. Listen to a commercial FM station for a few hours and you can clearly pick out the recycled 80's riffs.

Its getting bad when they are recycling 80's stuff :shock:
  10. Actually its a mashup of both songs
  11. I actually edited my first post, but it either didn't go through or someone changed my post. No matter.
  12. Isn't there a barny going on at the moment about 'Land down under' being ripped from 'Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree'???

J. S. Bach has posthumously provided more riffs for songs than he did while he was alive.

And don't get me started on Handel's sublime "Hallelujah Chorus' being used in adverts for anything from tampons to beer.....
  13. Yeah, I heard that? The rights are owned by the Girl guides?
  14. #15 GoTeam, Jul 17, 2009
  15. Under Pressure with David Bowie on lead vocals is the song you are thinking of
  16. Yeah, probably. All I know is that it was an old song from the 70s or 80s or something. Thanks for clearing it up.
  17. beyond the fact that land Down Under and Kookaburra etc share the same 8 note scale, I'm blowed if I can hear a similarity either.

I'm pretty sure that the 'grand opera' reprise in Bohemian Rhapsody isn't original Queen composition....
  18. #19 Bonk, Jul 17, 2009
  19. Bonk, that double kick bass drum....... :grin: