Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recreational registration in VIC?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by removed-6, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Generally I don't consider myself a dummy, but I can't seem to work out where I can ride with rec reg?
    from Vic Roads-
    Recreation motorcycles are only permitted to be operated on roads (except declared freeways and arterial roads, including roads formerly designated as forest roads, under the Road Management Act 2004) that are:
    located outside "built up areas" as defined by speed zones of less than 100 km/h,

So the way it reads to me is I can ride on roads except
    -declared freeways and arterial roads, including roads formerly designated as forest roads
    or are-
    located outside "built up areas" as defined by speed zones of less than 100 km/h,

So no Fwy's or built up area's?? What does this leave me?

Someone please explain how this has been misread?

2. It means you can hoon around roads in State forrests etc. :)

3. except roads formerly designated as forest roads, under the Road Management Act 2004

Doesn't seem like it??

4. What do they mean by "formerly"? I would have said if they're still designated as forest roads that would be ok. :?

5. "A new category of registration 'Recreation Motorcycle' is now available for use by licensed riders on local roads and forest roads outside built up areas (Built up areas are defined by speed limits of less than 100km/h)."
    Where can I ride my motorbike in State forest? (Dept Sustainability and Environment PDF)

6. Again, this reads that I can use local and forest roads that have a speed limit of 100kmh or more?

7. ... which answers your original question of "where does that leave me?"

8. Yep, I'm guessing "formerly" refers to roads that are now considered main roads. Riding in state forrests is popular and I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for doing it with a Rec reg. :)

9. i have a dirt bike with rec reg,i was told to use the bike onlu in state parks.which include unsealed roads

10. So I'm not supposed to ride down the road from home (40 & 50kmh zones), the 3km's to the start of the state forest?

11. Not supposed to but I doubt it'd be a problem. Once the copper saw your licence (if the could be bothered pulling you over) he/she'd more than likely say "Oh, you live that close! Off you go and have fun." :wink:

12. Sorry for dragging up such an old thread,
    by "built-up areas" I'm assuming the entire metropolitan area + suburbia in general are included in that definition?

13. From memory the definition of a built up area is any town area so that would include country towns as well as metro Melbourne suburbs.

14. I always thought a 'built up area' was anywhere that had street lights.

15. this sums it up well, they only problem you might have is the roadworthyness of your bike. most people with rec reg rip off all the indicators and mirrors etc. and mount the numberplate on the rear mudguard. fine in the bush, but a no-no around town.