Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recommended torque for bolts/screws, VTR250

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by mewnz, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Hey guys, doing a minor service on my twofiddy and have a small question.

In the workshop manual there are recommended torque settings for when replacing bolts/screws, I have no tool which is capable of doing this. Am I wrong in assuming that counting the turns as they come out is alright as far as replacing them is concerned?

Thanks in advance!

2. The difference between too loose and too tight is likely not to be turns but fractions of a turn. Small fractions! Difficult to count accurately.

Even if you could replicate the number of turns accurately, once you replace a gasket or a crush washer, the new part may have a different thickness to the old or may compress at a different rate. So you may need more or less "turns" than the original.

If you don't have access to a torque wrench, you need to develop a feel. Things should be tight but remember it is not a competition to see how tight you can get it. Particularly with steel threads going into alloy!

When it is all back together give the bike a little run and then re-check your handywork to ensure things haven't come loose.

If you are uncertain go to a spanner night or get a mate who knows what they are doing to show you.

Or see if you can borrow a torque wrench.

Sitting back and waiting for the "torque wrenches are for pansies" comments.
  3. I'd agree with that. Get a torque wrench. The make everything easier, prevent you rounding off the nuts and allow you to watch the amount of torque you give.

It will never be consistent with the number of turns.
  4. Unless you're changing gaskets etc just use feel.

Torque wrenches are for homos.
  5. If all you are doing is a minor service you dont need to tension nuts and bots to a specific torque setting.

Just do it up so it feels tight, but dont over-tighten it. Its really just something you get by feel.
  6. Public Announcement:

torque wrenches are for pansies!!!

7. Thanks nibs

For a while I thought we had to make do with QuarterWit's less accurate version. :LOL:
  8. I think I was perfectly accurate!
  9. Torque wrenches are for Professionals. Backyarders can take their chances.
  10. That's pretty diplomatic there. :grin: