Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

recommended books on riding techniques

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by little_miss_cowgirl, Aug 15, 2007.

1. hi have torn a ligament in my hand thats keeping me off the bike for awhile :cry: and figured its probably a good time to read up on riding techniques seeing i cannt ride. Have checked out the pitstop bookshop site and there are a few books on it relating to riding but not much info to differentiate between them.
    Anyone with some suggestions - particularily into understanding a bit more about bike dynamics and riding, hazard riding, actually the list could go on - I suppose what I relate to more is text with graphics, something readable .
    Also is there anywhere in melbourne that sells bike related books?
    cheers twid \:D/

2. Performance Riding Techniques: The MotoGP manual of track riding skills

Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and Track

A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding

Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way

Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques

I have everyone except the last. All are good. I bought off Amazon.com as its much cheaper.

3. Total Control is good value as are the Proficient Motorcycling books by David Hough. TOTW2 is good info but I found it painful to read.

4. Motorcycling Exellence is a good book, and funny enough I also like, Dummy's guide to Motorcycles lol

5. https://netrider.net.au/forums

^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
    That forum has alot of good information

Continuously updated

hope you have a speedy recovery

6. I have just picked up the Keith Code Trilogy
    A Twist of the Wrist
    A Twist of the Wrist II
    The Soft Science of Roadracing Motorcycles

I have started with A Twist of the Wrist II because it is apparently more road related that A Twist of the Wrist.
    So far I find it is fairly accesable.

7.  Top
  8.  Top
  9. I'm reading Keith Code's Twist of the wrist II and I think that is a pretty good book so far......

10. +1

11.  Top
  12. If you want to take a break from reading, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau have produced a dvd and video called Ride On. It's about an hour and a half of on road motorbike training footage and tips...with intros from Wayne Gardener. The riders give a verbal commentary of the on road situations they encounter and this is all recorded by on-bike cameras. It shows you what to look for when you ride and how you can deal with a number of situations including swerving around an obstacle, rear wheel skid, front wheel skid etc. I thought it was great value and I'll be reviewing it again as a skills reminder as I'm learning. It only costs $20 and you can order it over the phone and pay by credit card. Mine only took 2 days to arrive. I can't post the link yet..it's at atsb.gov.au..search for Ride On.

Tel 1800 621 372

Safe riding! :grin:

13. I know that DVD - it's compulsory to watch it before doing the Q-Ride course here in Queensland.

14. TOTW2 and Total Control are the ones I'd recommend first and foremost.

15. Was just reading an article from that:

Eyes Pop Out
    By James R. Davis

During a State Rally that Elaine and I just attended we had the pleasure of hosting a couple of safety seminars for the attendees. During a session of our presentation the audience was dumbfounded and shocked at a casual remark made by Elaine. She told them that high impact accidents sometimes result in having the victim's eyes (or one of them) pop out of their heads. [Subsequent to posting this article an EMT wrote me that in 15 years of experience he has NEVER witnessed a case of an eye dislocating. On the other hand, another wrote that he has seen it happen. Our most recent CPR/First Aid class included acknowledgement that high impact accidents do result in dislocations. For what it's worth.]

This was not meant to shock or make the audience uncomfortable, but rather to point out that a first aid kit should include a few things that most people don't seem to realize could come in very handy.

(In the case of an eye or eyes that have popped out of their sockets, you should not assume that the victim is rendered blind as a result. The eyes can be returned to their sockets by competent medical people.)

The problem is that the victim can STILL SEE with their eyes dislocated and that scares them and confuses them to the point that they can do some very damaging things to themselves.

What to do? Use empty Styrofoam cups and capture each eye in one and hold it up near the sockets. Use a large triangle bandage and secure the cups (goggle fashion) against the head. This 'blinds' the victim, removes the confusion of uncontrolled sight, and protects the eyes themselves from further damage resulting from handling (particularly by the victim.)

Keep the victim still - TALK TO THEM NON-STOP!!!!!! - and wait for medical help to arrive.

Ugly and uncomfortable to think about, but if you have read this far you could be the reason a victim has any sight left at all after an accident.

:shock:

16. Thanks matt, I was nearly sick just now. :cry:

17. The lesson? Store a couple of styrofoam cups in your motorcycle coffee-cup holder, in readiness.

So was I :)