Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recommend me good second-hand mid-size nakeds

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by AngryAnt, Feb 12, 2012.

1. OK, well my restrictions come to an end next month and I'm looking at a midsize naked as a replacement. I'm currently riding a Yamaha FZX250 (Zeal) which has been a great bike to learn on but I feel that I've well and truly ridden the wheels off it now so it's time. Those of you that know me know that I like to go for a squirt and ride through the twisties often and at speed, but I also commute on the bike, and go for the odd multi-day tour, so hence the preference for an upright. I also tend to prefer the looks of the nakeds. I'm sometimes tempted by the sports tourers as well but probably going to hold off on one of those for a few years.

I'm 5'7 and 80kgs for ergonomics.

I like the look of Ducatis and even the Street Triple, but am sticking with Japanese this time - I'm a big fan of more bang for your buck.

My preferences and parameters are:

Inline 4 (could be convinced otherwise but tend to like smooth over vibey)
    Japanese (see above)
    Minimum size 600cc - Max 900 (could be convinced otherwise)
    Price range $5k-8k

I'm reasonably mechanically minded and have learned a fair bit this past year about keeping an older bike running so not afraid to go for an older bike if that's what suits best.

I've considered:

Yamaha FZ6N and similar yamahas, diversion etc
    Kwaka Z750
    Suzuki Bandit 650, GSR600

I know I won't know til I actually ride it, but is there other stuff out there I should consider?
  2. Honda Hornet 600
    Suzuki SV650s
    • Like Like x 1
  3. #3 jag131990, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Gsr750 don't know if you can find one for 8K tho
  4. #4 AngryAnt, Feb 12, 2012
    Yeah, they are a nice looking bike too!
  5. Honda Hornet 600

There's a 2001 model for sale on Bikesales that has only 60,000 kay on it and has had $1,400 spent on fully adjustable suspension components.
  6. Yep hornet 600 is the best of the jap 600s
  7. Anto, have you checked the NR Classifieds? There is one sweet looking FZ6N for sale at the price within your budget?

Heres the LINK.
  8. I'll be selling mine fairly soon...
  9. #9 AngryAnt, Feb 13, 2012
    Hornets look ordinary to my eye but have a certain utilitarian charm... I'd be tempted to go for a 900 if I went Hornet though.

Lazy, thanks for the Fz6n info, I had seen that bike listed.
  10. a second hand mid sized naked ay.
    I was going to give you the phone number of my ex-girlfriend but you have clearly stated you want a good one.
    • Like Like x 3
  11. #11 AngryAnt, Feb 13, 2012
    You can never judge quality until you've had a "test ride" Mick.
  12. Hehe. He also wanted more bang for his buck.
  13. I was in a similar position to you a few years back and bought myself a Ducati monster 695.

It's a stonking good bike. If I were looking for another mid-sized naked bike I'd just buy another 695.
  14. #14 MelbourneMick, Feb 13, 2012
    I'd be checking the service history. I wish I had !
  15. Sounds like you got yourself a bit of a money pit.

the SV650 isn't very vibey, see if you can find a naked or gladius for a test ride.
  16. what about one of these? LINK
  17. #17 AngryAnt, Feb 13, 2012
    No cruisers.
  18. Are you sure you can't stretch your budget a bit more?

The Street Triple would be my pick for a mid range naked.
  19. No trumpies!

I did actually take one round the block once, didn't really do that much for me.
  20. Don't think Anto really wants a Jet ski!!! :rofl:
    Z750,,, Little brother to the Z1000!!! (Bugger it, go the 'thou!) Heard good things
    FZ6N,,,,Good reports there too. (the one on NR looks sweet too!)