Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recommend me a motorcycle maintenance course

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by daedalus, Sep 5, 2009.

1. hi guys

i just got a gpx250 and would like to do all it servicing myself. i read the http://faq.ninja250.org/ but its still abit hard.

i would like to do a short course on motorcycle maintenance. someone suggested a TAFE course but i couldnt find any short courses on their site. i only found full blown courses on how to be a motorcycle mechanic...

i also found
    St George Community College

what do you guys think?

alternatively is it enough to just buy and read a book/service manual?

2. Tafe schools run courses better to have a visual/practical experience rather than rely on just a book.
  3. Bump. also wanna know how to service.
    how did all you guys learn? (those of you who aren't professional mechanics)
  4. I've me a case and you can go nuts on mine.

I was shown bits by a mate who's a motorcycle mechanic and some bloody helpful people in the SR club that took a day aside to show me how to check everything.

Once you pass the fear of touching your bike - you do valves for the first time, clean carbs etc everythings becomes a lot less daunting. I now routinely f**k my bike with complete confidence.
  5. I'll give my default "I wanna learn mechanics" tip:

1) Go and buy either a $10 whipper snipper/chainsaw etc, or a cheap junker motorbike (free/under $200). I'd suggest the snipper or saw unless you're keen on going deep-end.

2) Pull it apart. Start with the carburettor, and then pull it apart and clean it. Reassemble and refit then fill with fresh fuel.

3) Try starting with cleaned carb fitted. No go? Pull sparkplug and clean. Reinstall. Dead battery? New one. Still no starting? Wiring problem.

4) Got it running? Sweet! Cheap lesson in simple mechanics, plus you got a chainsaw out of it. Not running? You've only spent a couple of bucks, chill out and try again.

Cheers - boingk

PS: I'd also suggest buying a few screwdrivers and a set of RING-END spanners. Seriously, open-end spanners and shifters have their place but are no use on bolts that aren't already fairly loose. Buy a socket set or a set of ring-ends.

EDIT: Another approach would be to get a service manual for your bike. Follow its instructions to do simple things (oil/filters/plugs/coolant changes) first. You can then work your way up to more complicated stuff like chain tensioning, valve clearances and carb adjustment.
  6. daedalus

I've done the maintenance course at SGSCC and definitely think it's useful in terms of developing a basic understanding of how to service your bike (you run through things like how to adjust your chain, oil changes, replacement of brake pads, adjusting free play in the clutch and brake levers etc). Also useful that you're learning all of the maintenance stuff in the context of your own bike rather than the course just being theory based or working on a demo bike which might actually be quite different from yours.

Agree with boingk regarding tools (and something that the instructor runs through during the course). Not sure whether you got a tool set with your bike but handy to know what you need to do various things and what works (eg open-ended potentially rounding off) so you have the right gear on hand when you do need it!

Good luck!