Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recommend me a first bike.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Wheels2, Aug 4, 2016.

1. I've got about a year experience of riding postie bikes, and I'm keen to get a bike for myself, as a weekend rider and occasional commuter.

I'm on LAMS restrictions, and I'd like to spend around $3000 for a bike with RWC.

I want a bike that would be easy for a novice rider to ride, easy to get parts for, and easy to maintain by myself. I would definitely consider a pre 1991 bike. I'll probably need to go with a 250CC or higher as I'm not very light.

Given the above parameters, what bikes would you recommend me to investigate?
  2. You'd probably be able to pick up a decent Honda VTR250 or maybe the CB250? I'd recommend something in a naked, fairings are expensive to repair if/when you have a drop
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Search LAMS bikes in that price range on bikesales.com or similar and see whats available and what appeals to you. You could then ask peoples opinions on them.
  4. The Suzuki GS500 or Honda CB400 seem to be good bikes for LAMS riders.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I'm a bit biased here (as you will probably guess from the avatar pic) but the GS500 is a fine machine.
    A solid one with 'some kilometers' on it will fall into your price range. They are an honest machine rather than being a restricted version of something else.
    With 30kW at the rear wheel and weighing 200 kg wringing wet, that right on the 150kW/tonne LAMS limit.
    They are more than enough of a bike to get (and loose) your license on.
  6. Personally, your first bike doesn't really matter in terms of style. What matters is that the bike fits you and has a good turning circle.

The $3000, is that just for the bike? Have you budgeted for a helmet, jacket, pants, gloves and boots? Realistically, depending on the which helmet fits your head best, you could be looking at spending at least another $1500 on gear - unless you have no qualms about buying second hand. But NEVER buy second hand helmets.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I think you should stick to a postie since you have some experience with them
  8. When? When? Why does everyone say WHEN? - groan. Tell me it won't hurt much then
  9. you don't have to have a drop, but luck does play a part in it - see here where we thrashed it out for a few pages => Are drops guaranteed for all riders?
  10. Ta for the link(s). I'm checking out a lot of the stickys
    I'm reading as fast as I can. It's the practical...practice practice practice...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Honda CBR250R: Cheap cheerful single cylinder all round commuter
    Kawaski ZZR250/GPX250: Parrallel twin, good comfortable sports/tourer, cheap to run
    Suzuki GS500/F: Slight stepup from the 250's, legendary reliability and solid design.

Honda CB400: high side of your pricerange, but very nice 4 cylinder bike, much more refined handling
    Suzuki GSX250 across (4 cylinder sports bike, good reliability)
    Honda CBR250RR (4 cylinder sports bike, very nippy, fun bike, fair bit of maintenance)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. VTR250 or CB400 - both nice and easy to ride; heaps of parts around should you need them but both being boringly reliable Hondas, they don't break often; no fairings to worry about (or forcing you to pay more when getting bike serviced); nice-looking bikes; and did I mention, a helluva lot of fun to ride? :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hey, I am probably a tad bias but I do love the CB400 !! Im on my second one and I find them very reliable, fun to ride, enough power to keep up with the rest.... and mechanically sound. This is my second one and I did look around at other bikes but still loved the feel of the CB400. It has enough power and well built in Japan. I have never been disappointed in my choice of bike..... good luck with finding the right bike for you :)
  14. If you're on the heavier side or just don't want a 250cc then the GS500 is a great learners pick. Predictable, reliable, naked and parts are easy to come by. You can't go far wrong if you find a well cared for example. Not the most exciting bike in the world, but a fantastic LAMS beginner machine.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. same boat as you , a bit less to spend but looking at a vtr250 based on personal riding style for my first bike when i get my L's next week