Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recommend a new(ish) rider a bike thats not LAMS

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by robbie55, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Missed out on a cheap GS500 recently as I was waiting on some finance. Speaking to the seller later he said that as I have my full licence I may find better value in a bike that is not on LAMS such as SV650.

Trouble is I haven't had a great amount of experience on a bike and would like something that is still reportedly easy to ride and reliable.

Bike is for my weekly commute and for weekend trips away. I'm thinking more sports/tourer types.

Can either sell my scooter and buy for around $6-7K or just buy (ie still keep the scoot) at around $3k

So what can you recommend I look at.

Wasn't sure where to put this so thread but though those kind enough to offer advice to newbies might be able to help.
  2. The world is your oyster Rob. :grin:

If you weren't financially constrained, I would say the new Ducati 696 is a great little bike for commuting and having some fun. It loves the open road and handles beautifully I have heard. Yet to try one myself.

Since you are constrained, I reckon you could find a good Ducati Monster for less than $7K. A lot of people seem to love the Monsters.

Of course the SV650 is a good bike as well. So are lots of other bikes. Broaden your choice. You might find something wonderful looking through the ads for second hand bike. Something that you hadn't thought about otherwise. Good luck.
  3. It doesn't matter if it's LAMS or not - sit on it, ride it and if you like it (and can afford it) buy it.

You're the only person who can decide if you feel comfortable with it.