Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recieve text messages while riding - txt to speech

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by cypher, Nov 28, 2009.

1. I have Nokia's text to speech application on my Nokia 6120, which will read out the content of text messages in a synthesised voice (not very well, but if the text is in simple english it can be understood ok).

I use my phone as an mp3 player, and as a gps with Nokia Maps and a bluetooth GPS receiver, so music and gps messages come through my headphones. If an sms comes in the notification tone cuts into the music. But to get the Nokia software to read the message I have to press 2 buttons and scroll a menu on the phone (which I obviously don't do while riding), so text to speech is basically useless as you may as well read it.

Does anyone know of Nokia software that will automatically read out text messages when they come in (or other phones for that matter). I don't want to talk on the phone while riding, I reckon it would be too distracting, but if someone wanted to text me I could listen to the message and decide if I needed to get back to them soonish or not.... would be useful on long trips away from home.

2. I can't suggest any programs in particular, but it would be a brilliant idea if it worked.

If you're any good at programming you could make a basic application that uses "sendkeys" functions.. It's pretty similar in any programming language and allows you to automatically input a sequence of keys (simulating the scrolling and button pressing etc)
    I'm sure there would be tutorials all over the internet on how to do it if you feel keen
    And then just need to find the message received API so that it can run automatically.

Or.. if you have any friends that can program, it may be worth offering a few beers to have it done for you

Other than that there may be a 3rd party program on GetJar.com or something which can do it all straight away.

Good luck and let us know if you succeed (y)
    -
    Chris

3. u'll hve 2 prgrm it 2 rd txt spch or it wnt wrk at all.

4. You know there are still some people who prefer to text in english :angel:

-
    Chris

5. Easier to program the people who send me text messages...

I don't have any experience writing Nokia software (Symbian), but I could possibly knock something together for a windows mobile smartphone. Except then I'd have to go back to using my old Jasjam iMate piece of junk and honestly it wouldn't be worth it. Although I did have Route 66 Nav software for it which is FAR better than Nokia maps, but that's another whole thread on it's own.

Was hoping some bright spark had already done this, but google keeps coming up empty. Might post on one of the Nokia development forums and see if someone could do it for us. I'd be more than happy to pay a few bucks for it, and I reckon it would be popular.

6. Don't you hate it when you write up a post then find a solution yourself almost straight away :).

I've spend hours searching for this, but was looking for Nokia software. It seem for Windows Mobile users there are some options, this one at least.

http://www.blondiesoft.com/software/mobile/TellMeText/

When I get time I'll charge up the old iMate and see if it's any good. Maybe I could use the iMate while travelling and swap the sim back for normal phone use. Or find a better Windows mobile phone....

7. Amazing how, as a society, we have come to believe that being out of contact, even for an hour or so, will make a big difference to our lives. I'm the same, take the internet or my 3G enabled phone and I am lost. But the part I love about riding, is the how close I am to the experience of travel....I can smell the air, feel the traction I have, hear the engine work. It's a sensory overload.

The absolute last thing I'd ever want on a bike is to have a synthetic voice whisper sweet nothings in my ear. But obviously that's not the same for everybody :)

8. For me it's mainly the reality of having a couple of teenage kids who occasionally need stuff. If I'm on a quick two hour ride, as opposed to a long 3-5 day ride, I agree, getting away from the phones is great. So I'm with you, if I could shut it all out I would. :)

9. But how long are you out of touch for, even on a 3-5 day ride? Check the phone at every fuel or sanity stop, make the call if it's required. My dogs haven't worked out how to use SMS, if they did, my phone would get pounded all day with 'where are you, where is our food...'.

10. I like this post.

11. That actually sounds exactly like my kids..... :LOL:

12. The ones that don't piss me the **** off!!!!!

However, nothing makes my blood boil more than the MRAA and those that post in SMS speak on public forums. ;)

13. Another vote for texting in glorious, accurately spelt English. Woo!

Anyway, I just have a cheap $50 Nokia for my phone as I've found they do everything I want. I've put some self adhesive velcro on its back and my bikes headstock so I can attach it securely without too much worry. If I see I get a call from work or someone important while I'm out riding I just pull over and attend to it. Easy, and it costs about two bucks.

For longer rides a dedicated system as mentioned in the other posts would be good, but my cheapo velcro system seems to work ok for shorter rides.

Cheers - boingk

14. Great idea boingk, before I got my GPS I used to use race tape, folded in half to secure my phone to the bike, right next to the key (crazy clarks were sold out of velcro.. bastards)

It held strong, never even considered coming loose, but would always pull the battery cover off and drop the battery onto the ground when I tried to remove it :roll:

Cypher: If you tried putting your phone somewhere in plain view, and then opened the text message inbox, you could see who is sending you a text without needing to press any buttons..
    Then just pull over to read it
    Would save some effort in trying to program it to talk to you

-
    Chris

15. I even punctuate and use apostrophes in SMS messages. ](*,)

16. incidentally, while not entirely cogent to the discussion at hand, my phone rang in my jacket at a light the other day, blaring out the Top Gear theme through the perforations in the leather. The other rider next to me gave me a thumbs up :-s

17. GOLD! Love that show...

Anywho, just a tip for anyone who is considering the velcro idea - remember to put the furry bit on the phone and the hook bit on the bike. This way you can still remove the phone from your pocket, and the hooks won't clog with random fuzz.

Cheers - boingk

18. I don't know about this, really. One of the joys of riding and especially of touring is NOT being contactable. Yes, I take my mobile and yes, Vodafone's lack of coverage in the country is appallingly bad, but, when I'm riding, I just want to concentrate on the riding and the headspace that it provides.

Sometimes it's nice to NOT answer the phone.

19. I have a Nokia 6120 supplied by work, we've got 6 of them, great phones, reliable, easy to use, much better than the smartphone I used to have. I've set it up with the phone in my tank bag (behind the map window), charger running inside the bag to a cig lighter socket which is wired to the battery (through a fuse of course, and switched through a relay so it turns off when I turn the bike off. Bluetooth gps receiver next to it, also charged from that socket, headphone cable running out the tank bag and into my helmet. Nokia maps has a basic directional screen, big white symbols on black background which is pretty easy to see, but from my short tests the voice guidance is all I need anyway. Tried it on a short run, but about to spend 6 days on the road so that will test it out.

Before I turned 40 maybe - my eyes turned to crap about then... there is no way I can read that text while riding, it's too small (and prefer to keep my eyes on the road anyway). I don't get many text messages, as I said earlier mainly the kids, or the gf, but I think the main problem is I hear the message notification through the earphones so curiosity gets the better of me and I have to know who it was. Perhaps I should just turn the messaging notification off? :)

20. And to add to the Velcro Idea, be wary about where you apply the Velcro to the phone, Not all battery covers are as strong as the velcro bond. Don't ask me how I know this, just write it down to experience(Although getting the sim out After I glued the battery cover to the phone was a pain in the arse).

If I put the phone in the backpack's top pocket(Right on top, mesh cover) I can even hear music playing, although you get some incredulous looks. The Scala rider is going into the "to be repaired" bin(Wire has developed a break between the speaker and the unit), and a new system should arrive this week, so it will be back to the bottom of the backpack for the phone. as for text messages, sorry anything important, you call me or I'll answer it much later when I can be bothered.