Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rebound Damping Force

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by stigger, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Hi all I've decided to play with the suspension. I'm playing Static Sag today and I've come up against the language barrier.

I've done the back, I'm fat and the Bike is heavy so full preload on the back gives me about an 1" of sag with I believe is right.

So now the back, I haven't take the measurement yet but all the sites say to adjust the front "preload", I have a Hyosung with upside down forks if it makes any difference that has adjusters at both ends the one at the top says "Rebound damping force" and the one at the bottom says "Compression damping force".

The questions is which one if any is "preload", I thinnk the bottom but what do I know...

2. the question is does the forks have a preload adjustment

on the top of the fork is there what looks to be an adjustable nut rather than just a cap
    ?

if it looks adjutsable rather than just a nut to tighten the cap on, then thats the preload adjuster , you may see some lines or rings to give an indication of how much preload there is

3.  Top
  4. ok looks like your fork doesnt have a preload adjustment

the usual way in the old days was to remove the fork cap and use washers or a piece of plumping pipe the right size to give some preload on the spring

if you decide to do that then be careful when removing the cap and never remove both at the same time

google around for some more info if you are unaware of what you are doing

5. Thanks, I'd started to think that once I'd asked the question. So the next question is how much difference should it make messing with the damping, I assume hardening the compression damping will tend to "stiffen" the front???

6. Stigger -

Sort of. Compression damping slows the rate at which the forks dive under braking, or compress when hitting bumps. However if your springs are weak or your fluid is thin (low viscosity) adjusting the damping might not be enough.

Have a fiddle around. Go to your garage, back both compression adjusters right off, then try giving the forks a few hard pushes down. Now adjust the damping to full, and try the same test again.

You might find that they dive a lot slower, but still bounce back pretty quick. So you may need to adjust your rebound damping to compensate for this "bounce back."

You may also notice that all your adjustments make shite-all difference!

Do not despair - in many cases it's just a matter of draining the standard fluid from each fork leg. Does it look thin and watery? If it does, there's half your problem. Go buy some 10 weight or even 15 weight fork oil (it's not expensive) and replace the stuff you've drained out with the same volume of the heavier stuff. This often makes a huge difference.

I quite enjoy arsing around with suspension, and it can make a ton of difference to your handling with bugger all expense. So get out there and give it a go, eh?

Hope this has been some help.

O.B