Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rebound/Compression settings and how to tune them

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by cejay, Mar 8, 2006.

1. I'm looking for advice or links to web sites that explain the roles these two parts play in handling.

Particularly, what adjusting these will fix, ie, the bike runs wide on exit, then you should adjust this/that, the bike bounces or doesn't turn in well, then adjust this...

2. Some real basic rules of thumb that work for me -road & dirt.
    Set loaded sag at about 25-30% of total travel. If forks dive excessively under braking wind a bit more compression damping in. If rear squats too much under acceleration same again.
    Next find yourself a nice bumpy corner you can take pretty much tapped (or as quick as you think you are going to ride)
    If your bike starts "skipping" accross the road take a bit of compression & rebound damping out. You should be able to tell if its front or back.
    If your bike starts wallowing & pitching wind a bit more rebound damping in. On the road you are best to set up as soft as is practical to allow the wheels to ride the bumps without loosing traction.
    Start with all your settings in the "middle" of their adjustment range. You have to work it out to what suits you. No one can do it for you. What settings I like my mates might hate & vice versa.
  3. Sticking some cable ties around the fork leg also help you to judge how much diving is going on under braking.