Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear wheel squeak

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by djay, May 3, 2011.

1. Hi Guys!

I've noticed that my rear wheel area (GPX250) is squeaking somewhere. I can hear it if I have it on the centre stand and slowely spin the wheel. It does not seem to do it when the wheel is moving fast.

I don't think it's the brakes.

Are there some things I should look for to determine what it is? I'm assuming whatever it is is not dangerous and it's still OK to ride while I figure it out...
  2. wheel bearings? surely its not the chain?
  3. If it was the wheel bearings squeaking, would I need them replaced? Is it unsafe to continue riding with them?
  4. There's no play in the wheel so that's good news.

How long would it take a mechanic to replace the bearings?
  5. i would say thy need replacing. there could be many reasons for a bearing speaking but generally there's never an acceptable bearing problem.

easiest way to eliminate brakes is to remove the rear caliper (usually 2 bolts, but sometimes hard to access) and spin the wheel. if it still squeaks it's a bearing. if you need to replace one bearing, do all 3 (2 in the wheel, one in the sprocket carrier)
    replacing them is easy if you have a few functioning brain cells and some tools, but i caution you to be careful setting the new bearings, doing a poor job can stuff them straight away

whether it's safe or not is luck of the draw. i wouldn't go on any tours (or even day trips) but it should be fine for toddling to get some milk (or new bearings)
  6. I doubt it's wheel bearings. They tend to just squeal more at speed. Could be brake pads seating a little or maybe a cushdrive rubber moving about.

Can you ride down your road slowly without a helmet?
  7. if your chain too loose or too tight?

how long since you've lubed your chain? is your chain clean?
  8. Is it also squeekn when you use the rear brake?