Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Wheel Snaking

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by nodz, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Couple of times while riding home today, I felt the back wheel snake about underneath me.

Conditions were dry, appeared to be no oil or grit on the road. No real bumpy lines, or mended cracks on roadsurface, no white lines.

It happened once while I was doing a turn once after I straightened up after a turn.

Back tyre at right pressure.
    Back tyre appears to have plenty of tread.
    Don't appear to be getting on the gas too early (only a CB250)
    Wheel doesn't look out of round or out of alignment.

Can anyone shed some light on what problem could be and where to look, not just the bike, could it be my riding skills and if so how do I improve?

2. Rear rebound sounds a little soft. However I dont think its adjustable on your bike so you may have to learn to live with it.

3. More than usual load on rack/bag?

Always one direction? Have you recently adjusted the chain? could be back axle out of line.

Rear shock oil, preload not enough?

Do you always use the same guage to check the tyres?, never trust the servo guages.

JJ

4. Could be where another layer of pavement is raised slightly above the other, it usually occurs where the road has been widened, that will tend to cause the back wheel to follow the small rutt and it can be hard to notice the small rut as well. :?:

5. I have the same bike & often have the same problem when carrying a load that is either not secure enough or not balanced well enough. If you have a bag tied to the pack rack (or seat if you don't have one) try repositioning it and making sure it and it's contents arnt able to move around.

Otherwise, I would start by putting the bike on the centre stand and checking that the wheel doesn't wobble when you shake it.

If this proves to be no help then make sure the side stand is secure when up and look for anything else that may be causeing an imbalance. Also, check that the front end is aligned properly. Sometimes having the front end out of wack gives the sensation that the problem is is the back.

Failing that, I dunno. Get it checked by a mechanic. I don't know if you bought it second hand but if you did it may have been stacked. Even a slightly bent frame could cause that problem.

Good luck.

6.  Top
  7. Also, check the rear suspension. They should be adjusted to the same point. You will see little notches on the adjuster. If they're not the same you can fix the problem with the pin spanner in your tool kit.

8. Thanks for input everyone, will have a read through bike manual and look at suspension set-up. I think it has more to do with slight difference in height of road surface as per matt232's post, I did notice a faint line in the bitumen when the wheel snaked on me as I was exiting the turn.

9. Different road surface will cause the front to wiggle not the rear
    The rear wheel wiggle is too soft suspension.
    You can adjust the springs on the cb250 to a higher setting which should stiffen it up a bit.
    Also try pumping up[ the rear tyre a touch even if you think the pressure is correct if you carry a load and are a fat bastard then you need more air.