Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Wheel Punctured?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by JustCruisin, Jul 19, 2015.

1. So my Honda Shadow VT400 shaft-drive cruiser all of a sudden has a flat on the rear tyre & I was gonna replace it with a tubeless at a tyre shop but figured that it might cost too much & my tyre still has heaps of tread left as it has only went 6500km. How it happened I don't know because I changed the oil & filter on my bike & didn't ride it until two days later only to find out I had this issue. It sucks it had to be the rear wheel because I think I have to take off alot of parts just to get to the thing & possibly the final drive oil might have to be emptied out too. Does anyone know how I can determine if a tube tyre is leaking or not. Ideas, suggestions & recommendations are greatly appreciated.

2. I would think it very strange if you had to fart around with the final drive/oil in order to remove the wheel.

Is it a tube or tubeless tyre on it at the moment? If it's tubeless, go find the nail or whatever is causing the leak, pull it out, push in one of the sticky-string type puncture repairs and go ride the thing.

If it's tubed, you'll have to get the wheel off, tyre off, and tube out before any repairs start.

Good luck.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP said it's a tube tyre, gunissangunissan

JustCruisinJustCruisin, pump it up and leave it a couple of days. Any measurable loss means it's leaking.

If the rear has to come off (which is likely), it shouldn't involve opening up the final drive. If you look at some how-to's on YouTube with VT750's all that comes off is the rear brake and the rear wheel, the final drive stays sealed. It's actually a bit easier than on a normal chain-drive bike (but not as easy as with single-sided swingarm).
  4. What hyperspex said, but check the valve. (a bit of spit and see if you get bubbles)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ok, fair enough. The second section of my advice still applies. As well as the further advice from you two!

If you pump it up and leave it for a day or two, and if you then end up with a flat bit on the bottom, it's got a leak!

6. If you pump it up and leave it for a day or two, and if you then end up with a flat bit on the bottom, it's got a leak!

I don't know if anyone's read my post fully but I did mention that my tyres are tubed so forgive me for the confusion but what I meant to say was how can I tell if it's the tube on the inside that's leaking or if there's a puncture on my outer tyre rubber?
  7. Ok, all joking aside!

If a tube tyre is going flat, the tube has a hole in it somewhere, the tube is the bit that needs to be airtight. The tyre itself having a small hole in it is virtually irrelevant. Unless the object that passed through the tyre and put a leak in the tube is still stuck in the tyre ready to immediately puncture the tube again. If it's as small and simple as a nail, pull it out, repair or replace the tube and ignore the small hole in the tyre. If the tyre itself shows damage from something bigger than afore-mentioned nail, (check the inside of the tyre for damage too) seek some skilled advice as to whether the tyre is still serviceable.

If unsure, post up some pics, there are plenty of helpful members here. And I'm on here too. LOL

Good luck
  8. If I'm gonna go through so much just pulling out the rear tyre, I'll just buy a Michelin tube & get the tyre shop to replace it for me. They have the tools to get it done quicker and safer. Thanks Gunissan.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Can anyone recommend some motorcycle tyre shops where I can buy a tube that possibly also comes with installation? around postcode 2116?
  10. Get a squirty spray bottle, warm water and dish washing detergent. Spray over tyre , bead and valve area. A bubble will show the leak.
  11. Take the wheel off the bike. If your rear wheel was flat, then yes, the tube is rooted, whether its the valve or a very small hole. Replace the tube with a heavy duty one (cost you about $20 for a HD tube), once you remove the old tube, carefully inspect the inside and outside of the tyre, run your hand around the inside, feeling for anything that may have pricked the tube.
    If the tyre is ok, or even if you pull a nail out of the tyre, dont worry about the tyre ( unless it is split, more tha 5mm), a new tube will seal a nail hole ( if still concerned about the hole from a nail, just fill it with glue, l wouldn't bother personally) . When you install a new tube, firstly coat the tube with a bit of talc powder ( this prevents the tube binding wth the inside of the tyre, when it heats up). Becareful not to pinch the tube when refitting the tyre over it. ( check out youtube for how to change a motorcycle tyre). Finally, balance the wheel.
    I think a few here were suprised that your bike had 'tubed tyres', as most road bikes nowadays run tubeless tyres!

If in doubt, take it to a tyre shop and ask them to fit a tube. If you were near me, I'd do it for you! Once the wheel is off the bike, its about a 30 min job, if you know what your doing.

Good luck
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Many thanks for the offer.
  13. Thanks everyone. I've already planned out what I'm going to do, only thing is how the hell I'm gonna get a jack & two car stands to keep ahold of my motocycle while I remove the tyre. Besides that, if anyone can answer my previous response on where I can find a good recommended motorcycle tyre shop near me (postcode 2116).