Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear wheel locking up?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by bullet21, Nov 20, 2007.

1. hey all,

i got a question about rear wheel locking up. It just happens for no reason, im not using the breaks, im not sure whats causing it. Its like if i come to a traffic light or a turn off, i pull the clutch in and shift down gears. Then soon as i realease the clutch it starts skidding.

whats going on? its fkn scary!!!

2. Compression lock up me thinks

You are releasing the clutch when you are moving too fast for the engine forcing it to speed up.

Maybe delay your downshift until you are a bit slower or at a more appropriate speed for the gear you are shifting into.

Another option would be to blip the throttle before releasing the clutch to match the revs a bit better

Im sure there are some more experienced riders who will be able to give further/better insight

Adam

3. What sort of bike?
    Are you dropping the cluch?
    What revs are you down shifting at?

4. Yep, you can't just shift down to first and let out the clutch, thats a good way to get yourself killed.

You need to go down through the gears whilst slowing down:shift down, blip, clutch out, repeat, through the gears.

Anyone who has ever said 'theres nothing wrong with learning on a 1000cc sportsbike', think about how bad this would have been if he had been on one :rofl:

5. Most of the new 1000's have slippers though?

6. Your right he does say GEARS, one at a time people (most of the time anyway).

7. Haha good point. But I can imagine alot of learners not being able to afford one of the newer ones with a slipper?

8. also, it might feel like it's locking up, but just giving you a little rear tyre shake on down gear.... check the bearings on both sides of the rear wheel!!!

a certain apprentice at a certain motorcycle shop didn't put the bearing back on 1 side of my ZZR, and when the other one started snapping I was gettin wobbles constantly and didn't know what it was.

9. Certainly sounds like a compression lock up to me..

10. what does blip the throttle mean? :oops:

11. using a little throttle as you are letting the clutch out

12. Just cos youre a learner doesnt mean youre a broke ass mofo. :)

13. Whats going on? You seriously need bloody lessons or someone to
    tag along with you. Thats whats going on.
    Get off the road & into a carpark before you bloody hurt yourself. beg.

Just shaking my head reading what noobs here have been saying
    lately. eek2.

Serious accidents waiting to happen because you's don't even know
    the most basics of handling a bike.

I'm sorry, but thats what I find f*cken scary.

14. i locked up my rear wheel yesterday.

i was like, wtf!

killed the engine, got off my bike and had a look at what was going on...

realised i had forgotten to take of the cable i had wrapped around the rear wheel that morning.

i felt like a real idiot since i did a quick pre-ride check while "suiting up"!

15. ermmm...this more than likely compression lock up.\
    It comes from downchanging to a lower gear, without blipping the throttle. The engine has to go from idle or low revs and pick up speed to match your rear wheel speed.
    You need to blip the throttle to match them and reduce the likelyhood of a lock up.

If that process is foreign to you, then you seriously need to get out with a buddy rider who can show you, or take some lessons....what's happening is very dangerous for a newer rider to be experiencing.

Listen to MG...He's right.

16. A complete and utter lack of basic mechanical knowledge is also a problem in general with newbies. Toyota Camry's have been near idiot proofed, bikes and sports cars have not. You need to know how it works, how to keep it going, and how (and why) to operate it, rather than just going through the motions without really understanding what you're doing.

17. Camry's are very good..

18. I don't recall throttle 'blipping' info in either the L's or P's courses :(

I've had a few compression lockups in 1st gear, when I'm trying to slow right down for a right turn at a roundabout.

19. Hi Rabbit...
    Yeah...it IS a bit of a worry is'nt it...I think though, that the throttle blipping thing might be classed by them as more of an advanced technique (groan)
    (Correct me if I are wrong guys)

Basically....when you declutch to change down a gear, you blip the throttle to bring the revs up to match the speed of the engine and rear wheel, just as you select the gear, so they they are more in-sync with each other, and then release the clutch again...same as when driving a manual car. :grin:

You can do this even down into first gear - although I am not a big believer in using first gear.
    (For general commuting and riding it's better to slip the clutch a little in second to continue on if you are'nt coming to a complete stop. To my mind, unless you are having a hard play...I reserve first gear for initial take off only.)

If you have'nt been practicing it Rabbit...add it to your regimen. :grin:

20. yeah in my learner's day (going for learners permit) we were all told that gears are for picking up speed not slowing down, that way you eliminate the lockup effect (though after riding around town a fair bit in melbourne) you begin to learn how the bike is slowing down and pick the gear to match it.

Going into first gear on a 250 (like my Hurricane) was always a bad idea at anything over about 20km/h.

My advice is probably slow down gears as you've been doing but avoid first untill you're nearly stopped, you can still take a corner putting in second :)