Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Wheel Kicking Out

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by cardinal, Mar 19, 2007.

1. I took advantage of the public holiday in Canberra to go for a wet weather ride around the nation’s capital. The roads are notoriously slippery in Canberra after some rain but I’m not sure if that would offer a reason for my rear wheel to kick out to the right under breaks upon downshifting a gear. It didn’t feel like I was going to totally lose control as I had slowed down to 30/40 km/hr but the slip of the rear was discernable and it happened more than once.

I haven’t noticed this tendency in the dry, I wasn’t using any rear brake at the time and tyre pressure is good - it definitely appeared related to the downshift.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this may have happened?
  2. this is caused by letting the clutch out too fast while downshifting or not matching your engine speed to the speed of the wheel.

because the engine speed and gearing is lower then the road speed it locks up temporarily until the bike slows down or the wheel and engine speeds back up.

I used to find it fun to do in cars when i first got my lisence but i wouldn't try to do it on a bike..

edit: and its only happening in the wet because there is less grip between the tire and road..
  3. a little blip to rev match and slower release of the clutch will keep the rear traction nice and predictable
  4. Nice - as long as it's rider related I have some control.
  5. if your not confident with blipping to match engine speed i wouldnt recommend practising in the wet, if you let the clutch out and the wrong time you could break traction by accidently blipping with the clutch nearly fully out

sometimes in the wet it is better to shift down later then you normally would ie let the revs get lower wash more speed off with the brakes first, it will reduce the risk of compression lock
  6. Oh how I miss my rear wheel drive Car.[​IMG]
  7. This used to happen on my 250, and I *think* it was due to the following. Someone more experienced may correct me.

-rear brake lever was angled too high (so too easy to engage). So when I was braking the rear would come on too much.
    -in the wet there is less grip so easier to loose traction (of course)
    -when clutching in to change down the engine stops driving the rear wheel and it is in "free rotation"
    -with wheel in free rotation it is easier to stop with the brake.

Combine all these factors and you have a prretty easy rear lockup in the wet
    Assuming that you are talking about the rear locking when changing down and you use the clutch and that the lockup occurs with clutch in, not as you let it go. etc. etc.