Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear wheel bearings

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mr Messy, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Hey guys.
    Just got around to having another go at fitting my hugger last night, and noticed that on my rear wheel around the centre there is some reddish-brown greasy like crap.
    On checking it out it appears as though it may be a leaking seal for the RWB.
    Im not afraid to rip it apart myself, though i havent looked at whats involved yet... but is it a big job? Time consuming? Anything i ought to be aware of?
    09 Sprint ST 1050 :p.

Thats the nub of my question :D.
    Ill take a photo when i get home...

2. First thing to do is get the rear wheel off the ground (when it's not being ridden ;)) and check to see whether it turns smoothly or if there is any any free play from side-to-side.

Hardest part about replacing them is getting the old ones out. There are various tricks for doing this - but best to buy a proper bearing puller tool. Heating the wheel with a heat gun will make life a lot easier (the alloy wheel will expand more than the steel bearing). Similarly putting the new bearings in the freezer will make them easier to install.

Installing the new ones either requires a special tool - or the right size socket to only touch the outside of the bearing when you belt it into place with a hammer.
  3. Yeah theres no free play that i can feel, and it all feels loose enough to be spinning freely, it just looks like its leaking grease.

Special tools huh... maybe i better look at getting a mechanic to do it. Not something that should need doing again while i have the bike :p.
    Fiddly labour job? Looking at a few hours? Or are they going to be realistic and make it 1-2 hours?
  4. It is possible to remove a bearing without using special tools - but you do run a greater risk of damaging the wheel and usually end up destroying the old bearing in the process. I've changed car wheel bearings without a special tool before, and by the end really wished I'd bought one.

Proper tool is only going to set you back maybe $60-80 (and it's an excuse to add another fancy tool to the collection in the shed/garage :LOL:). Most of the labour is in removing/reinstalling the rear wheel, so if you can at least do that yourself it'll cut the cost of a mechanic by a big margin.
  5. if your going to get a mechanic to do the job remove the wheel your self and that will be cheaper for you ,wheel off the bike no more than one hour labour to knock old bearing out clean and knock new one in , do you have a work shop manual for your bike ??, it will tell you how to remove the wheel bearing and if you need a service tool or a drift and hammer ,
  6. Noted, thanks guys. Ill find out when the mech's can do it for me (given its a quick job should be a 'walk in', and take it off myself then.
    Yep got the service manual, just never played around with wheel bearings in any form before - just shaft bearings at work.
  7. Even the sealed bearings weep. So not always means they are gone.
    And yeah with a puller it takes two minutes to pull a bearing. Sometimes they fall out.
    What we want is for the spot for the bearing to be cleaned and true. So when the new bearing goes back in it has no extra force on it...They last for ever then