Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Tyre Puncture

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Fahlee, May 1, 2016.

1. Hi all,

I just discovered my first rear tyre puncture.

I have attached some pictures to help out..

It seems like a small nail, though I don't know how far in it might be.

I am hoping to get some advice as to whether i should get my tyre replaced or get it patched up?
    I believe i still have some tread left (please correct me if i'm wrong).

I also am mostly a commuter, if that might help too.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Looks repairable. You can buy a rope puncture repair kit for about $30 or get a professional mushroom plug repair done. I'd recommend MMMTSMMMTS for a quote, looks like there's plenty of tread left in it so its worth repairing
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Looks fine to repair. DIY or take it to a shop if you want a guaranteed fix.
    Or call MMMTSMMMTS if you like someone to come to you.
  4. Looks repairable from here. Rope puncture repair is only a temporary measure. You need to get it plugged properly.

Has anyone mentioned MMMTSMMMTS yet? :smug:
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Thanks for the advice.
    I'll have a look around for a repair kit and see how it goes.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. It costs me around $70 to have one plugged. About 1/2 an hours work.
  7. Repair kit is only for getting to a proper repairer if the tyre is loosing pressure fast. If leak is slow enough, over inflate the tyre and ride to a repairer, even if you need to stop a couple of times to re inflate.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. While I generally agree that string repairs are temporary, I have ridden with a repaired tyre for over 2000 km. Repairs that I have done have usually lasted for the life of the tyre with little or no leaks, There is an element of risk so you have to decide for yourself whether it is worth it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I agree that a small puncture like this would in my experience be fixed fine with the vulcanising rope/string. I've done over 200 kmh on a rope repair, not had any leaking issues.
  10. Something like that, l'd repair with the string type kit. The last string type plug I repaired a tyre with, lasted for 12,000km until the tyre was worn out.

There is no way i'd fork out $70, for a repair, as easy as that one. Local tyre shops here, plug them for $20-$30.

However, go with what your comfortable with.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. I have ridden for months on a string repair too. I have also been riding at 120 kph and lost all air in a tyre. Definite brown pants moment. I wouldn't want to go through that again.
  12. OP's mainly commuting. Plug it. Learn how to do it for future reference. Like Dobbo i've done 1000's k's on a plugged tyre - and a track day when money was tight.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I, like others have ridden thousands of km on plugged tyres and at some very high speeds.
    Never had an issue with a failure for a simple hole repair and I would never cough up $70 for someone else to plug it.

Plug and ride on
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. As other have said above definitely repairable, I actually repaired my rear Saturday night before a ride on Sunday (see pic below). Kits are inexpensive and it's a skill easily mastered and like TWEETTWEET said why pay $70 for something you could do yourself, in fact the money you would save paying someone on one repair
    you could also purchase a mini air compressor Tomcat Mini-Air Compressor for Motorcycle, Scooter, Mower Free Case which IMHO are a must have just incase your repair is not successful and you need to redo it and you've already used all your canisters. Check out on YouTube how easy it is to do

• Like Like x 1
  15. image. image. I bought my kit from ebay for 27 bucks. Arrived couple of weeks ago and the service was very prompt. Took 2 days or so. I tried ama warehouse and other store... Like wtf... They want 60 to 70 for the exact kit.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. I have plugged plenty of car tyres with the rope style thingies. Yeah some say they are temporary, but they lasted 40,000ks and over 2 years until the tyre was replaced when it got below the wear markers. When you move into a new estate with houses being built all around, learning to do it yourself becomes a necessity. I was pulling out nails every couple of months!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Hi all,

Just a little update.

I just finished plugging up the hole on my rear tyre.

The hole itself was actually really tiny to begin with. When I pulled out the nail, it wasn't the long nail that I expected it to be but just a small nail head. (I'm hoping the nail didn't break inside the tyre...or it really was a small nail head.)

Basically I had to make a bigger hole to fix the smaller hole that I initially had.

It was pretty simple from what everyone has said. The results so far are in the positive which is great!

Lucky I had a neighbour who was kind enough to lend me their air compressor so that i can inflate my tyre again.

I'm planning to leave the bike for a couple hours just to make sure the leak is gone before I ride it again.

I just want to say thank you for all your help and advice. :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. You haven't been riding along yarra boulevard by any chance? Sounds like one of the tacks some d@#khead has been dropping.
  19. Three CO2 bottles won't be enough to inflate a flat back tyre. Get at least 3 more and carry 6 to be safe.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Nah, I haven't been there in a while. Mostly just commuting to work at the moment, which is a 10min ride. There are a couple of roadworks around where i live, and some building sites, so i suspect the nail might have come from around there i think.