Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear stand with spools question

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by OscarA, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this question but figured it's kind of maintenance related.
    I recently purchased a rear stand to make life easier when doing maintenance on the bike.
    Currently I'm using the L shape brackets that lift the bike up via the swingarm but want to get a set of spools to make it easier.
    I understand some bikes can't have spools attached and was hopping mine was one of the ones that can.
    I'm not exactly sure where the spools go as I assumed they go on the rear wheel nuts but seeing a few pics of other bikes on stands shows they don't.
    My rear wheel nuts have internal holes but there is no internal thread.
    This makes me think that spools can't be used or do you just slide them in when needed and slide them out when the bike is off the stand?
    Sorry for the silly nubie question :oops:

Here's a pic

Bike is a 1998 FZX 250 Zeal

rearwheel1.

2. FZX250 Zeal do not have the sockets to screw the spools into.
    Use the L-brackets.

3. Thanks hotcam, I thought that might be the case.

4. I am looking at a stand and would go for a L bracket or spools as I don't want to drill a hole into the swingarm for spools.

5. I should learn to think things through before jumping on here to ask silly questions.
    It just occurred to me :idea: there is no way the spools can go on the rear wheel nuts as that would make removing the rear wheel impossible.
    You can all stop laughing now :roll:

6. not silly at all. just make sure that the rubber that usually comes on the brackets doesnt tear as the brackets can then scratch your bike as happened to mine. duct tape then when you get the stand.

7. Thats exactly what am going to machine up for my 929. Just haven't had the time yet.

I would get the L bracket but on the 929 the swing arm in uneven god know why.