Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear stand tips

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by mark59, May 12, 2014.

1. #1 mark59, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    Just assembled my new Kaneg space saver rear stand to use with my SV650. Comes with castors so you can move the bike around the garage. Great way to turn the bike 180 degrees without having to do a side stand spin or a 12 point turn.

YouTube has some useful videos on how to use a rear stand by yourself. Seems that slow and steady on the stand handle while you guide the bike with the other hand is the technique.

Anyone able to share their wisdom in how best to manage the acrobatics and stop the whole thing ending in tears the first few times while mastering the technique? I'm planning on having a mate next to the bike to catch it if I screw up.

2. tie the front brake so the bike doesn't roll, usefull if you are putting the bike on a stand on a slope.
    stand on the opposite side to the side stand. dont forget to put the stand down if you put it up
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. FWIW I stand at the back of the bike. Get the stand under the left hand spool, hold on to the seat strap and slowly straighten the bike with a little pressure on the stand so the right spool drops into the stand. (You're just moving it up to the balance point so its not hard). Then push down. Letting it back down, I hold the seat strap and gently lift the stand. Seat straps aren't strong so you can't give it a heave but you can control it. Easier if you have a grab rail.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Thanks guys. All really good advice. Locking off the front brake is a great idea - I was considering chocking the front wheel.

I've seen vids where they place a small piece of timber under the side stand to get the bike almost vertical to ease the pick up/put down process.

Have you had any instances of the side stand slipping out of its locked position and the bike going down? The stand on the SV seems to have a hair trigger so I've decided to hold it in place with a length of shock cord that keeps it pulled forward into the locked position.

Sloooooow and steady seems to be at the heart of it and not to panic.
  5. I used to use a wood chock under the stand until I got the hang of it. Don't need to now bc I've learned that once the spools are caught and I've got a little downward pressure on the stand, I can let go of the bike and use two hands on the stand. As long as I don't let up on the pressure, the bike will stay upright for me and not wobble.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hey, I am in the market for a rear stand and I am wondering is there anything I should be looking for in a stand or recommendations. I recently picked up a CBR500R and as it doesn't have a center stand I would like to grab a paddock stand for it. For chain maintenance etc
  7. I just bought a paddock stand from this ebay seller http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/thirdgearau?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 (seems to have a bunch of different types). Was the cheapest I could find and it works well.
  8. I've bought a few stands from Auburn MCAS, the first on, an RJays universal Paddock stand was in my opinion terrible, it required assembly and despite all my best efforts to stop the bolts from coming loose they always would.

Anyway the one I use now is the XTECH universal rear stand, it's all one piece of metal and the wheels are adjustable to change the height.
  9. Locktite and Nylocks are my friends.
  10. If you get really adventurous, you can use the stand under the left spool to get the bike upright, get the other side into place & lift in one smooth motion.

Best attempted sober though.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I've lined my riding buddy up to come over and "spot" me as I practice this, just in case. Gravity is a harsh mistress.

In reviewing the helpful advice above (and many thanks indeed) it seems that once practiced its not difficult to get it hoisted up.

How about doing the controlled lowering back on to the side stand?