Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear sprocket spacer?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by toadcat, Dec 27, 2011.

1. My chain is slightly in contact with the rear tyre and rubbing against it when the bike moves.

Is there anywhere that sells or would install a sprocket spacer to avoid this? I've tried searching on google with some success but I wouldn't be able to install it myself and am unsure if it would fit in the first place..

Can anyone help me out here? :angel:

2. you can use shims to space the sprocket out from the cush drive, but it shouldn't be necessary unless your new tyres are radically wider than the previous ones.

Try using the chain adjusters to gain the clearance instead, shouldn't take much to do it.

3. Will give the adjustment a go, cheers

Hopefully won't need to get shims and it's just the chain but the old set of Z6's scrubbed too.. I thought going to a more 'triangular' tyre would help ahh :(

4. You'll need to space out the front sprocket as well or you'll chew out the chain and sprox in no time at all. Something to also be aware of if you cock the wheel to one side using the chain adjusters.

One tip. Don't rely on the alignment marks on your swingarm. Either line both wheels up using two planks or string lines (difficult but not impossible working singlehanded with no centrestand) or measure from the centre of the swingarm spindle to the centre of the wheel spindle on each side. Assuming your frame and swingarm are straight, equal measurements should see you right. Steel tape measure (used carefully) is amply accurate for this.