Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear sprocket change for VL250

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by NathansIntruder, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Hi Guys,
    I have a new rear sprocket for my Suzuki VL250 Intruder to try and get a better top speed out of it. I have gone from standard 43 tooth to 37 tooth and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I will have to get a longer chain or will the tension adjustment take it up? (Been hunting the forum for info but unsuccesful...)
    Thanks in advance!

2. You definitely won't need a longer chain but you may need to remove some links.
    The only way to know is put it on and adjust your chain to see if it takes up enough slack.
    That's a massive change you know. I hope you understand how much bottom end you'll lose.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks Jonnymac, hopefully it will be ok... i do all highway driving so im hoping it wont hurt too much... shes a fairly torquey bike tho. we'll see...
  4. How will you fix your speedometer/odometer?

"Riding my wife's VL 250 hugging down onto the tank I could get an indicated 140 on a good day. However speedo error is about 8% optimistic so that's 128km/h actual. I have since changed rear sprocket from 43 to 37 to cut down on cruising revs. Makes no difference to top speed, not enough power, but cruise is a little less stressed at 100km/h about 800+ revs less I think. Speedo is gearbox driven on my model not from front wheel like some other bikes so change of sprocket alters speedo reading, 100 indicated used to be 93 actual, now 107 actual (according to GPS) (VL250K7 2007 model)"

5. Hi Justus,
    All I am after is 100 ks at less revs so thats fine, I will mentally adjust for the speedo and I dont care about the odo so its all good! By the sounds of it you got on ok with it tho so thanks for that feedback.
  6. No dramaz (y)

nb. I don't know anything about bikes so wasn't my feedback http://www.productreview.com.au/qa/suzuki-vl-250-intruder/2.html