Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rear shocks replacement

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by voyager, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Anyone recommend a bike tech who can supply and fit the rear shocks for me ? The stock shocks on my XV250 aren't really strong enough for the bike + me (I'm VERY heavy) - I'm getting horrendously rough rides.

I'm in the Werribee area, so the place/person either needs to be local or offer a remote service. I'm still too new to take it any great distance (plus its too bloody uncomfortable!).

thanks!

2. Voyager.....I have an XV250 as well....Have you cranked up the preload on the shocks or are still on the soft setting?

By the way...I found the front shocks too soft so had the service guy replace the oil with a heavier weight oil....Rdgs

3. Excuse the idiot question from me, but Plummet - what the HELL are you talking about ??? :) I fix computers for a living - I know SFA (actually there's nothing S about it...) about cars, bikes, etc. I'm so lame that I pay someone ELSE to change the oil in my car!

SO - whats a preload and how do I adjust it ? And is it possible for me to screw it up ?

4. Voyager.....Get your service guy to check the preload and show you how it's done, b4 you shell out your readies for new shocks....Plum.

5. Voyager.........Just a thought......I work in Sunshine/You live in Werribee.............If you want to come round to work I'll adjust it for you. Just PM me and I'll give you the address.

6. I'll go one better.
    Drop it around to my place, I'm in Tarneit all I'll crank it up for you.

7. Plummet, Vic - you guys are great. I work my days away in Parkville, but I'm usually home by 5pm. I don't know how I'd go getting to Sunshine (a long way) but Tarniet doesn't sound too bad - I reckon I can haul my newbie butt over there. Vic - I'll PM you my contact details - I'll fit in with you. You're a legend mate!

8. Hey Voyager, Vic already thinks he's perfect... you don't need to boost his ego too much! :LOL: :p LMAO

9. Hey look, if he's willing to save me a great deal of pain on a bike, then he's entitled to all the praise I can give him. I have NO HOPE of doing it myself - in fact the Id ten T form was invented during my highschool mechanical aptitute test...

10. OI.......

What do you mean "he thinks"?????

I AM perfect.................................right???????

11. Yer right...

12. Ummmmmm................................................................ :roll:

Hang on a minute whilst I think about that....... :roll:

Since I'm a perfectionist (therefore I am not perfect myself :wink: ).. I'd have to say, that you'd have to prove it first.... :p :twisted: :LOL:

13. Orritie then..................

Drop 'em, sharsh ya pin..........never mind.

Some young folk in here might get worried :)

14. Hey, I said YOU have to prove it, not me! :p :LOL: :p

15. Damn, oh well, worth a shot ;)

16. Well, the ride home was MUCH smoother - thanks Vic! So long as I don't get fatter, I should be right now.

At least now I only feel kerbs when I hit them, and not every small pebble that might be around.

Much appreciated mate! Maybe one day I'll be able to repay the favour.

17. careful what you wish for there voyager.
    You only need to start worrying when he gets the chain lube out :LOL: