Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear indicators trying to commit suicide

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Grrila, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Hey Guys,

Pretty sure someone must have encountered this before...

On my last ride I pulled into the servo and I noticed that the flexible rubber stems on both rear indicators were split with the right hand side literally 3/4 of the way around split and just hanging on. I got some super glue that apparently bonds rubber, plastic, steel etc etc. but for some reason would not stick. Got some electrical tape around them for now holding them in place.

Before anybody asks no this bike has not had any drops so I don't understand why they have split either. Any ideas? The bike lives in the garage most of the time and only comes out on sunny sunday rides.

Interested to know what fixes people have done. I'll most likely replace the tail lights with new OEM items or even a tail tidy but thought I would check if there was a quick and easy ghetto fix that might have worked for somebody.
  2. Silicon glue may work.

How old are they? The rubbers can get brittle and split over time.

Alternatively, if it is new, is it a Hyo? :hungry:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. It's an 07 Kawasaki z750. Like I said very good Nick and lives pretty much in the garage. Very surprised that they have degraded like that. Front indicators seem fine.
  4. Triumphs are noted for doing that but they addressed it with the replacement parts and the news ones on mine are doing fine so far. Probably just needed a higher silicone content in the rubber to make them more durable. Maybe try some fleabay replacements? The OEM ones weren't that flash so if you can get something cheap enough?
  5. Does anybody know if the integrated tail brake lights with indicators are legal in Qld? Seems to be a popular mod in the US.
  6. I don't know for sure, but I knew a guy on a Harley who said he had been booked for that mod in QLD.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I am sure there is an ADR that stipulates the minimum distance from centreline to start of indicator
    section. FJR etc have integrated stop/tail/indicator.

Just measured mine and it is 90mm from centre of brake light to inner edge of turn signal section
    of the assembly. I assume that is legal under ADR so if you take that as a minimum spacing you
    could not be far off.

Don't have easy access to up to date ADR at home but maybe someone else can help.
  8. Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 19/01 - Installation of Lighting and Light-Signalling Devices on L-Group Vehicles) 2007 in width: For front indicators, the following requirements shall all be met:

1. there shall be a minimum distance of 240 mm between illuminating surfaces,

2. the indicators shall be situated outside the longitudinal vertical plane tangential to the outer edges of the illuminating surface of the headlamp(s),

3. there shall be a minimum distance between the illuminating surface of the indicators and passing beam headlamp closest to one another as follows:

Minimum Indicator intensity (cd) Minimum Separation (mm)

90 75
    175 40
    250 20
    400 ≤20

For rear indicators, the clearance between the inner edges of the two illuminating surfaces shall be at least 180 mm on the condition that the prescriptions of paragraph 2.11. are applied even when the registration plate is mounted;
    • Informative Informative x 3