Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear Hub Crack

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Devery, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Yamaha SR250 and the gentleman selling the bike said it had a crack in the rear hub.

What should I make of this? Would it be safe to ride the bike from Canberra to Melbourne?

Take a look at the crack.

Attached Files:

2. In all likelihood, you'd be fine, but I wouldn't be taking the chance. I'm not sure if it's something that could be easily repaired (it might just be me, but it looks like someone's already had a crack?), but I'd see about fixing/replacing it before a big trip.
  3. I wouldn't risk it, but that's just me.
  4. You're all soft!

But nah James, i reckon that by the time you go up and get it, get it back and get the second hand wheel you could have a local one sans crack.
  5. I'd ride it no worries, just keep an eye on it and stick to smooth roads (eg no detours on corrugated dirt).
  6. +1 wouldnt risk riding it either
  7. Yeah, but you're nuts Matt!
  8. If, say, I was riding from Brisbane to Melbourne and I discovered that crack in Canberra, I'd probably fill it with JB weld or similar (more to make any increase in size obvious that to add strength) and continue on, but I'm not sure I'd wilfully start a journey in that condition. I'd check it every time I was off the bike too.

But more importantly, what happened to that sweet little CZ?
  9. Maybe he got mugged by the reality of Czech two-stroke ownership :bolt:.
  10. Thats a lot of hate in one sentence Pat! The CZ is awaiting an electrical upgrade... Still kicking. Don't buy a CZ though.

I would like to ride it, but maybe its not to be... Surely it would last!

11. You could always take another hub up, all bearinged and ready, and lace it before heading off; though I've never laced a wheel and don't know how hard it is to do so soundly....

I was riding around for a while on a frame cracked an inch or two below the steering head....
  12. Oops. Sorry, it really wasn't meant to be.

It was more intended as a slightly tongue in cheek comment from someone who spent a year or two with the products of CZ and Jawa as sole means of transport :shock:. To sum my own experience of them up without rambling or further hijacking the thread, I found them to be astoundingly cheap to own and basically sound, but very labour intensive for relatively limited reward in terms of riding pleasure beyond that which comes with any bike.

In answer to your original question, though, like Matt, I'd ride on that hub (although I'd probably stop quite frequently to check it for deterioration. I'd be more concerned about how it happened in the first place, because in 20 years of owning, riding and wrenching on shitboxes, I've not seen a failure like that. The only way I can see it happening is for someone to have made the most horrendous botch of pressing new bearings in and somehow burst the hub. It doesn't bode well for the treatment the bike might have had in the past.
  13. She'll be right. if you can fit a small drill in with a 2mil bit, drill the ends of the crack to stop it propogating, bit of silicone so crap doesn't get it, and don't do any wheelies. Looks like it'd be a weakness from the casting process?
  14. That sounds fine in principle, but in practice you would have to unlace the wheel to drill it, in which case you might as well have it welded or replaced. You might be able to increase the crack tip radius with a jeweler's saw blade if you were to go down that route.

PatB makes a very good point, although it seems such an unlikely failure even if you were to press the bearings in at an angle or something. Did the owner say anything about when/how it happened?
  15. +1 - failure by f*cking up a bearing install would cause a crack in the wall of the retaining hole.

Just looking at that crack, I'd still ride on it if i had to, your call, in the end.. :?
  16. All I can see is a disaster... I would not ride it... Drum brake... heat stres, bearing it's all there it all can go belly up..
  17. My last bike was an SR250, I don't think you'd go fast enough to hurt yourself even if the back wheel did fall off!

Looks to me more like a manufacturing flaw than a fatigue crack, I'd ride it but first mark it with a felt pen and check it at each fuel stop to see if it grows.

If you do ride it and it breaks and a kitten gets killed, a lot of native wildlife will be happy. Its a win-win situation.:D