Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear hard luggage & pillion

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by 5367, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Is it safer and/or more comfortable for a pillion if there is rear hard luggage on the bike?

2. Depends on the pillion, size of luggage, size of bike etc.

Every pillion i've ever taken has always wanted to hold on to me, instead of the bike.

A luggage rack will help stop them from sliding off the back, but you shouldn't be going that hard that they will be sliding off the back. And if by chance you are, you should make them aware so they hold on tight (flashback of loz doin a whooley with holster on the back lol)

EDIT: Introduce yourself in the welcome lounge
  3. I don't know if it's more or less safe with a topbox.

One of my pillions was quite nervous about pillioning on the Tiger at first and refused to go on the bike without the topbox in place. That way they wouldn't be able to slide off of the bike backwards - which was something they were afraid of because their first experience on the back of a bike was on a GS500 with a particularly slippery seat.

After a few outings they've overcome that fear and don't mind if the topbox is present or not.

Some topboxes can be fitted with a back cushion for increased passenger comfort.

Welcome to Netrider. ;)
  4. I don't believe it would be any safer with a rear rack/top box fitted or not. It would depend on the pillion though. I guess it'd be for their piece of mind knowing that they've got something behind them. It does make it interesting when they mount/dismount the bike though.

On the Hornet I bought one of those gripper seats (forgotten the name) so the missus doesn't slide around on the back. When out two-up, she prefers without the rack.
  5. on supersports it can be a little dodgy carrying someone as the riding position for a pillion is 'out there'

give it a hit at the wrong time and your pillion will come off.

a top box/ rack gives them the assurance if they arnt holding on tight enough something will stop them from falling off the back.

cruisers, scooters etc different story, but on a supersport your pillion should be hanging onto you
  6. The topbox on my Moto Guzzi Norge tourer actually has a small pillion backrest which my regular pillion claims makes her feel safer and more comfortable (and I can see why that would be).