Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear ended!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by dgmeister, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Riding in to uni, morning peak hour, nice day same as any other.
    going into town the traffic banks up between the lights as usual.

All us riders know that traffic can stop suddenly at any moment, but car drivers don't.

So i see the traffic stop ahead of me, come to a stop, and check behind me. The guy behind me is going traffic speed so i look for escape routes, move the bike to aim it at the gap on the left (in the left lane)

Then i look back again to check, TOO LATE, the guy has swerved into the other lane to avoid me as he flies past and stops in the middle of the road in shock.

Luckily, me moving over and him swerving avoided a crash thank ****.
    but i still made a few mistakes

*i could have gone a different route to avoid that traffic. even if it takes an extra 5 minutes AVOID THE TRAFFIC as much as you can.

*when i saw the traffic stop, i could have predicted the ******** and quickly moved to the other moving lane, i would have had time for a head check, but you have to decide instantly.

*IF you see someone that you don't think will stop TAKE ACTION NOW,
    i moved a little and checked on him again, but by then it was too late.
    you don't have time to check twice, take action instantly

thankfully i moved just enough, but i should have taken full action and filtered past the car in front. (normally i don't filter)

Avoid any traffic if you can, be prepared if you can't. Get ready to avoid a crash, any hesitation and its too late.
  2. This is why you should filter to the front as soon as possible.
    • Like Like x 13
  3. But did your gear save you? :wink:

Seriously though, well observed and good on you for thinking through what else you could have done to avoid the incident.
  4. I always leave a wide gap between me and the car ahead, especially in stop and go traffic. That way you can bring the guy behind you in slowly. If you see he's not slowing down, you have room to move ahead, if you notice him slowing down, you can move up slowly.

I find you can control the pace of the cars behind you this way. I don't just worry about the guy behind me rear ending me, but I leave room so that if the guy behind me gets rear ended, I still have room to move up and avoid a multi car smash.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. This is why I cringe whenever I see a rider stopped right behind a car, with no gap to maneuver.
  6. Good that you are thinking how you could improve.
  7. =D> Good post. I hate the threat of a rear-end-er most of all - it's the threat from which I feel most vulnerable (especially now that, on my commute, I sit there idling on an engine designed in the 1930s!).

As I scope out my escape route, I'm always concerned about the scenario you just described - of them swerving into it. I try to set my mental aim at a spot where they'd be least likely to swerve, but as often as not there's no such clear place. I always prep myself too that when the decision is made, it's a matter of just going for it. But I haven't had to test out how I would really react. Good post, I say!
  8. way too close, if he didn't swerve i would have been car sandwich

if you ever get a hunch- take action, or its too late
    these f uckwits are allowed to drive, when they have no freaking idea.
    even before this i always got scared when a car came up too fast behind me (all the time)
    you can even see the f uckers laughing when you jump forward to get out of the way

all your defence is in the preparation and discipline, once the shit hits the fan you have about a second in total to take your evasive action.

luckily what i did was enough, but he still could have easily hit me.

keep it in first so you can move quick! don't sit there in neutral
  9. Alas in my case I have to keep mine in neutral...so that when the bastard stalls, just as the lights turn green of bloody course, I can quickly get it going again. There's no neutral light, and Albion gear boxes don't go 'snick'! :LOL:
  10. I've been hit from behind, very early in my learning, & thank God I was at the front of the traffic. The car hit the stopped rear wheel & literally catpulted the bike into the intersection & I ended up on my arse not far behind it.
    Thankfully not much damage to the bike, but scared the sh!t out of me. Hard lesson to learn.
    +1 for sitting in first gear & watching the traffic behind.
  11. Well done on taking a lesson or two away from what could have been a nasty nasty accident.
  12. I always try to learn from situations, so they don't happen twice.
    you can't rely on others to keep you safe. (or yourself most of the time)

i posted this for others so they were aware what happens and how to avoid it
    • Like Like x 1
  13. You're just going about your business and then you are faced with a very serious decision, and you must decide and act within 1 second.

just trying to put it in perspective, darwinian evolution at its most aggressive.
    people who are limited in making life or death decisions instantly should not be riding (or driving)

it was pretty f uckin scary, the helpless feeling, and it could have been much worse.

a warning for all the "it will never happen to me coz' i'm awesome" people
  14. Has it made you reconsider your policy on never filtering? For me, this is really the main motivation to filter to the front: sure, it's nice to get away quicker, but the *main* point is to avoid being the meat in the sandwich.
  15. Nawwww.