Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rear ended this morning...

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by FoxRiderJ, Jul 11, 2011.

1. It was extremely low speed, but still... I'd like to know how this could be avoidable.

Corner of Parra road / Norton St, Leichhardt. I'm one to filter to the front whenever there's an opportunity, and this time, a two lane road, i could see the two cars in front of me sitting at the red light, no room for me to squeeze in between them.

I check the rear mirrors. Van is slowing down behind me as i stab my brakes. Come to a complete stop behind the lead car, van behind me also a complete stop.

My right foot goes down as i begin to flick into neutral when suddenly i was bolted forward. I grabbed the front brake to prevent smashing into the car in front. My first though was: "did i stall even though i had the clutch pulled in?"

But i look into my mirror again, and the van driver behind me is frantically checking out the rear of my bike, sticking his head out his window, a frantic look on his face. So i put two and two together. I indicated for him to turn into Norton st.

I get off and check the damage on the bike. Since it was extremely low speed there was no big damage (i checked again when i got to work 5 mins later, my rego is cracked on the left side). Driver was extremely apologetic and wanting to shake hands. I let him go after seeing there was no damage and after recording his license plate.

So NR, when one is unable to filter to the front and forced to sit in a queue, how can one minimise / avoid being rear ended like this? Is it even possible?
  2. Stop well short of the car infront, keep the bike in gear, keep an eye on the mirror, flash brake light... If the car doesn't look like it's going to stop, move forward into the escape route it you have one, or to extreme left of the car and let the one behind pile into the car instead.

Never stop right up the arse of a car.

Until you know the traffic behind you has stopped, don't take your eyes off your mirror for too long, check regularly.
  3. They say to always keep it in gear and watch your mirrors. Sounds like there wasn't really a huge amount you could have done about this, so at least you weren't hurt and the bike wasn't damaged too badly
  4. What Rob said. :)

Actually, I feel a bit bad when I ...
    ... because usually (50-80% of the time?) when I tap the brakes to warn an approaching vehicle of my presence, the vehicle approaching behind me stops VERY short of my rear wheel. Probably about a whole car-length back.
  5. There's some gooses out there, unfortunately you got one this morning. So how to avoid, I guess all of the above from the other boys. But seems you had no chance in this instance, so lucky he was going slow.
  6. I'm amazed no one has mentioned:
    Have hairy ass crack showing
    Wear gang colors
    Big spike on back of bike
    Etc etc
  7. Even if it's low speed and you think there is no damage you should always get the full details of the other driver in these circumstances.

It doesn't take much of a whack to damage bushed and bearings in the rear suspension of a bike or even crack an aluminum alloy wheel. Get it checked out by a mechanic before letting the driver off the hook.

Also I don't get why van drivers always cut it so close. Surly with the cab-over layout you'd tend to sit further back but for some reason the majority cut it even closer that vehicles with bonnets.
  8. Glad to hear you and bike a relatively OK.

When I have the presence of mind to, I normally either leave a fair bit of space between me and the car in front or if I am coming to a quick stop (EG someone changes their mind and decides to stop at the lights instead of going through) I try to stop close to either side of the car - If I'm going to be hit from behind I'd rather be crammed into the gap between two cars than sandwiched by the car in front and behind.
  9. Did they actually stop and then let a foot off the brake or something? I usually leave a lot of room to the car in front, point for a gap and stay ready to move until there is a car stopped behind me, then I'll go forward a foot just in case.

The footbrake fandango is also useful.
  10. no guaranteed surefire way to avoid it,
    except not being there.
    that's the trick really. don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    it's a kinda magic
  11. It sure is...
  12. Not sure if this has already been said but, if you need to get their details, get their licence number and plates rather than plates only so that way you don't find out later that the plates are stolen and insurance won't pay out.. Yes, this does happen.

Also, i learnt from when my bike was rear ended that you won't be able to notice if there is any damage to the sub-frame from a glance so don't think its untouched until you check it out properly. Check the tyre too because you might have a chunk of rubber missing which can make it unroadworthy.
  13. Hi sorry for ya, its upsetting to go through that ,you probably wanted to get it over and done with quickly,shouldnt have let the prick of lightly especially when not at fault,get his details have your bike checked out properly, are you insured cause its his liability,make him pay for every scratch so next time he will be more careful cause thats a careless stupid mistake,and many cars are unregistered or unlicensed, and your insurance will find out,and follow it up.
  14. Practice SOS morse code on your hand brake and increase intensity when a car approaching your six. Don't forget to get ready to jump clear if that car somehow doesn't see your international distress signal.
    ... _ _ _ ... ... _ _ _ ... ... _ _ _ ...
  15. Thanks for the replies guys.

I had a thorough check with the bike this arv, i honestly don't see / feel anything wrong, besides a lightly twisted rear rego plate.

I've got his rego, but i'm quite sure there is no damage to the bike. After all, when he bumped me and it felt exactly like when u stall a bike, a little jerk forward.

Is it worth pursuing if i'm certain there's no damage?
  16. If there is no damage then there is nothing to pursue.
  17. Do what rob said. Only noobs and harley riders put their bikes into neutral at the lights :D

If you are a mechanic and can guarentee there is no damage to the bike, then let the driver go. Otherwise, you need to take the person's details and get the bike checked out. As Ibast says, a small knock can do a hell of alot of damage.
  18. 20 years of rding inthe city and I don't do it. I ride a Trumpy too. But I know it's a bad habit, born from riding bikes with heavy clutches.

Also I try never to do what Rob says.
  19. :rofl: cheeky bugger.